OMG I saw something for a first time!!

alake

I was at Walmart on Sunday, when I saw a guy unload a covertible car seat out of his SUV and then load it into the top seat of the cart:eek:. I stopped him and told him that it was incredibly dangerous, and the best plan would be to place the seat into the bottom of the shopping cart not the top. On a good note, the child was about fifteen months old, and was still rear facing. I was still in Canada, and rear facing in my hometown past one is basically unheard of.

ADS

HaileysMommy

A guy at my old apartment complex used to uninstall his kids convertible and carry it inside when the kid was sleeping. So weird lol

Brigala

CPST Instructor
A guy at my old apartment complex used to uninstall his kids convertible and carry it inside when the kid was sleeping. So weird lol

I did this all the time when my boys were little. That was back in the day when most infant seats didn't have bases. And the rear facing belt path of their convertible was over the lap like an infant seat. My first infant seat didn't have a handle, either; it was a two-handed carry anyway.

So, really, it didn't seem like a stretch at ALL to uninstall the convertible and carry the sleeping child into the house, just like I'd always done with the infant seat.

I would probably still do it but I'm not as strong as I was when I was young, and trying to wrestle the Radian out of the car with a toddler in it seems rather daunting. :love:

MommaMia

I uninstall our convertible seat when we arrive at our destination, if one of my DDs is asleep. My girls do NOT nap in the car, so if they happen to fall asleep I don't want to do anything to wake ;) oh and our seats are RXTs so they are HEAVY to carry and even heavier with a sleeping toddler/preschooler.

alake

It wasn't removing the car seat that got me. It was him trying to put an evenflo triumph into the tiny top seat of the car. I worked retail for several years and a lady would only shop with her child during nap time, with the car seat in the cart. The child was two before I saw the child awake.

Brianna

I can't imagine trying to put a Triumph into the seat of a shopping cart :twitch:

But add me to the list of people who have brought a convertible seat in the house just to not wake a sleeping child ;)

mybabybean

Ok, I actually saw this tonight! A couple had a sleeping 3ish yo in a nautilus perpendicularly balanced on the cart! :eek:

Sidbree

I was at the grocery store Saturday and saw a baby in a Cosco HBB in the large part of the cart. They got that part right I guess, but unfortunately the baby couldn't have been more than 9 months old, probabkt closer to 6 months. I really wanted to point out the stickers on the side of the set, but my boyfriend wouldn't let me say anything.

Shaunam

I saw someone do this once. The child was obviously disabled but at least they put the convertible in the basket, not on top!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC