Baby carrier recommendations

bella_1818

I'm looking for a carrier for baby wearing with upcoming DD. I know absolutely nothing about them. I'd like for DH to also be able to use it. I like the looks of the BabyHawk Oh Snap online (cute fabric). Price isn't really an issue.

Previous Experience:
I bought one at a yard sale to use with DS when he was a few weeks old. I must have done something wrong setting it up because he rammed his head into my nose giving me a terrible nose bleed. I never baby wore again.

My size:
I'm 5'7. Usually 125lb, more PP. Nursing I expect to have 32J/I cup breast and they are always sore and over sensitive to touch.

DH Size:
He's 5'8, very athletic build. Wears a men's size medium I'm most brands.

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I have a Toddler Hawk (not the Snap version), and I love it. It's comfy and cute.

For a newborn, I'd go with something more sling-like, however. Either a ring sling or a wrap (knit or woven).

attachedmama

For noobs- ie no head control- I'd do a Moby Wrap- so comfy!!! Or a Maya Wrap.

Once babe has head control I'd do a ErgoBaby-multiple carry positions, easy to wear and most daddies like them too!

Then in toddler stage I love my real Mei Tai. (Just dont buy from Infantino!)

mirandaall123

I have 2 a ergo and a lillIebaby I love them both, but just make sure you are careful so of the cheap ones they say can cause hip type problems, from the way the legs hang. I found mine on baby steals for half price. :)

ecdyses

For newborns, I love ring slings (sakura bloom, sleeping baby production are both good brands). For two shoulder soft structured carriers once baby is a little older, Kinderpacks are my favorite. My DH really likes his Boba as well.

If you want to use a two shoulder carrier with a newborn, get a Mei Tai (babyhawk, freehand, Kozy carrier) or a soft structured carrier with an adjustable base such as the Beco Gemini or infant size kinderpack. Most other structured carriers (such as the ergo) are to wide for newborns.

Keeanh

Go hang out on the Babywearing Swap FB group, and the associated Babywearing Love & Support FB group. You'll learn a ton. And lose a lot of Paypal. But it will be worth it ;). Since you're in the US, you can buy used carriers to try out, and then sell them for the same price if they don't work for you or when they're outgrown, and you're only out the $10 shipping.

I've tried wraps. I've tried mei tais. But I keep coming back to my carriers. I have an Angelpack LX that I've used from birth with Kaitlyn, and an Angelpack Max (toddler version) for Rebekah. I also have a Kanga XT that I think I like, but haven't given it a proper try-out since my back got all messed up a day before it arrived :mad:.

bella_1818

Any way to minimize the broken nose/ busted mouth potential when using a carrier?

I'm scared of them after I got clobbered last time.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I've used BabyHawks (regular, not snap) from birth, and I love them. (I also love ring slings.)

As to the face-ramming, I'm not sure. I've been rammed in the face by baby heads lots of times, but I can't recall that it's ever happened while baby-wearing. :confused:

bella_1818

I don't know what brand the carrier was. It was a structured carrier and it didn't come with instructions. My bust is huge and I didn't want to suffocate DS, so I probably had it on too high?

Good to see that nobody else has had it happen. Must have been something I did wrong.

thtr4me

I would strongly recommend taking a look at the various forums on thebabywearer.com to find something that will work for you. The chatter forums are great places to see lots of pictures of actual use, to give you a better idea of what style may work best for you. My personal preference is for wraps. I have also used ring slings, Mei Tais, and assorted buckly things (I personally do not like buckles).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC