Diono-are they still having issues with the seat latches and harness loosening?

KatieGrace

When I was shopping for a convertible for DD, there was a lot of talk about the latch straps and sometimes the harness loosening while in transit on the Radians. The company was Sunshine Kids back then, but I remember a lot of people having trouble getting the company to fix the issue and they would not issue a recall... I was scared to get one because of that, but I am revisiting the seat now that I need a convertible for my son. That was a long time ago, and I haven't seen any complaints recently... Has the issue been fixed?? Can I trust the seat now? Thank you!! :)

ADS

Brianna

I haven't heard of any LATCH loosening issues with Diono seats. They've always been fine to install with a seat belt though. It's a good idea to check for tightness before every ride no matter which brand seat you have :)

KatieGrace

Was it just the latch straps with the issue? Or did the harness straps have issues, too?? I'm fine with a seatbelt install if the latch straps were the only issue. But i definitely want the harness working properly. Thanks! :)

Mamasboys

Was it just the latch straps with the issue? Or did the harness straps have issues, too?? I'm fine with a seatbelt install if the latch straps were the only issue. But i definitely want the harness working properly. Thanks! :)

I've no problem whatsoever with a seatbelt install with my Radian. I couldn't get a satisfactory install with LATCH--for whatever reason, vehicle compatibility, user error (first time LATCH car owner here), etc. Seatbelt install in both my vehicles is rock solid tight.

I'm not sure what the harness issues may or may not have been. I will say that the harness adjuster is *different* than the smooth pull of the Britax convertibles I'm used to. It's definitely the "tug-tug-tug" motion you hear about.

But, I wouldn't call that a disadvantage at all. I actually like that it prevents me from *over-tightening* the harness (something I've been guilty of before I knew better--there is such a thing as TOO tight :eek:). I can just check for tightness, then just a tug or two to snug it up just right.

nataliem257

I read about that too, some issue with the super latch. There was a Facebook page for a while dedicated to trying to get Diono to do a recall. I don't think there were any reported injuries, and I haven't heard about it in a long time.

KatieGrace

Thanks! I'm trying to decide between this and the Nextfit and a Britax. I will admit I am still a little leary, but I haven't seen anyone complain of this in a while, either, so hopefully it's not an issue anymore. I still don't know what I'm going to do yet. I appreciate the feedback!

KatieGrace

Would you trust a Radian with a seat belt install? Has there ever been an issue with the harness actually loosening, or just with it not being able to tighten easily? I know some people have had issues because of the tug- pull you have to do with the Radians...I'm just trying to make sure the Radians really are safe? I will admit, I want to get one but nervous it will malfunction. :eek:

Mamasboys

Would you trust a Radian with a seat belt install? Has there ever been an issue with the harness actually loosening, or just with it not being able to tighten easily? I know some people have had issues because of the tug- pull you have to do with the Radians...I'm just trying to make sure the Radians really are safe? I will admit, I want to get one but nervous it will malfunction. :eek:

Yep, absolutely. You can see in my avatar my son's outboard in his RF radian w/ seatbelt install. Sure, we're within the limits to use LATCH. However, I tried the seat belt install first, got a great install, so it shall stay that way. Why mess with what ain't broke, right? I trust it as I trust any seat belt install.

A seat belt vs. LATCH install isn't any more prone to "malfunction". Actually, I can't see how. The seat belt and the LATCH thread through the same slot, and work *essentially* the same. Lock your seat belt and tighten, or pull to tighten the lower anchor straps.

KatieGrace

A seat belt vs. LATCH install isn't any more prone to "malfunction". Actually, I can't see how. The seat belt and the LATCH thread through the same slot, and work *essentially* the same. Lock your seat belt and tighten, or pull to tighten the lower anchor straps.

Thanks for the reply! Have you ever had any issues with the harness staying snug? I was referring to the issue a couple of years ago when the latch straps were coming loose while in transit...I think maybe kid's feet were hitting the adjuster on the straps and loosening them? I can't remember exactly what was happening...There were several people having issues, but the company wouldn't issue a recall and I believe someone from "Sunshine Kids" even suggested using duct tape to try to fix it, if I recall correctly...so, I've been a little leary of the seats since...I *thought* I remembered an issue of the harness straps loosening in transit, too, but I can't really remember for sure. I was just checking to see if people were still having any safety issues with the seat or if it had been fixed or addressed since it had changed to Diono?
It looks like great seat and I really want to love it! :eek: I just want to feel confident that it will keep my kid safe. :)

Mamasboys

Thanks for the reply! Have you ever had any issues with the harness staying snug? I was referring to the issue a couple of years ago when the latch straps were coming loose while in transit...I think maybe kid's feet were hitting the adjuster on the straps and loosening them? I can't remember exactly what was happening...There were several people having issues, but the company wouldn't issue a recall and I believe someone from "Sunshine Kids" even suggested using duct tape to try to fix it, if I recall correctly...so, I've been a little leary of the seats since...I *thought* I remembered an issue of the harness straps loosening in transit, too, but I can't really remember for sure. I was just checking to see if people were still having any safety issues with the seat or if it had been fixed or addressed since it had changed to Diono?
It looks like great seat and I really want to love it! :eek: I just want to feel confident that it will keep my kid safe. :)

No problems with the harness loosening at all. The harness adjuster metal thingy (I don't want to say latch, for confusion), has to be pulled up in such a way that I don't see a way for the child's feet to do it accidentally. I have no experience with older Radians, so I don't know if it was different then. Also, there's a fabric flap that velcros over the adjuster, and it's *kinda* buried into the vehicle's seat back.

IMO, there would have to be *alot* of theoretically slim chance weird things happen for such a failure. If anything, I can see *perhaps* an older kid (being sassy) with REALLY long arms reaching down, pulling up the flap (which you'd totally hear the velcro sound), then know to pull up on the metal the right way, while loosening his own harness. But that's possible on ANY carseat, really.

KatieGrace

No problems with the harness loosening at all. The harness adjuster metal thingy (I don't want to say latch, for confusion), has to be pulled up in such a way that I don't see a way for the child's feet to do it accidentally. I have no experience with older Radians, so I don't know if it was different then. Also, there's a fabric flap that velcros over the adjuster, and it's *kinda* buried into the vehicle's seat back.

IMO, there would have to be *alot* of theoretically slim chance weird things happen for such a failure. If anything, I can see *perhaps* an older kid (being sassy) with REALLY long arms reaching down, pulling up the flap (which you'd totally hear the velcro sound), then know to pull up on the metal the right way, while loosening his own harness. But that's possible on ANY carseat, really.
Sorry, I think I was a little confusing. Or, I'm just confused myself. lol The kids were hitting something on the latch straps with their feet, loosening the super latch,not the harness thingy. But, people were also having issues with the harness randomly loosening, but I'm not sure why that happened, but it wasn't anything the kids did, to my knowledge...I think they just went to get their kids out and the harness was loose? I can't recall much about it...I wish I could find an old thread on it. Hopefully I'm remembering right!

~*Jen*~

I bought one of the clearanced SK Radians while fully aware of the SuperLATCH issue. At the time, I wanted something with rebound control that would fit well in my car--and give my DD a lot of room to grow. (She's all torso.) A Radian, it was. The LATCH install did okay for a long time and then shortly after her second birthday, we started having the loosening issue. Now I use the seatbelt to install it. I'd been a little, um, insecure about my abilities to do it but now I have a rock-solid install and I'm very happy with it.

As far as the harness... we've never had any issues with it. I used to have a CA65 and we could never get it tight enough. The Radian, though, tightens like a dream and stays that way.

Stelvis

I'm the one they told to use duct tape to fix my Superlatch problem. They sent me two new belts that supposedly had the "fix" and they still did the same thing. In our case DS, then 2, was resting his foot on it and causing it to loosen in transit. The issue has to do with the design of the base and the belt -- if the webbing is at a 90 degree angle from the adjuster where it meets, the adjuster won't hold tight. It just has to do with the LATCH locations and angle of installation in various vehicles. In other words, it was not random belts failing but rather a widespread and not immediately obvious incompatibility. You could test at the belt path and get less than 1" of movement, but the adjuster could be loosened by tapping it lightly or by bumping the seat (such as the movement of a child climbing in and out). Of course the company never admitted to or acknowledged any of this, but rather blamed user error for not getting it tight enough at the initial install.

That and other atrocious customer service issues relating to the whole event make me really not trust them at all for a variety of reasons, personally. But, it is true that I haven't read about any issues lately either.

KatieGrace

Thanks for the reply! I think I may just go with the NextFit. It seems like a great seat from what I can see. I think that based on what I've seen/heard about Diono's customer service, I will stay away. It seems like if I use a seat belt install, it will be fine but if I run into any problems, I may have a hard time getting good customer service from them. I may consider it later if the Nextfit won't work for us. Thanks, everyone for all of the advice!!

I'm the one they told to use duct tape to fix my Superlatch problem. They sent me two new belts that supposedly had the "fix" and they still did the same thing. In our case DS, then 2, was resting his foot on it and causing it to loosen in transit. The issue has to do with the design of the base and the belt -- if the webbing is at a 90 degree angle from the adjuster where it meets, the adjuster won't hold tight. It just has to do with the LATCH locations and angle of installation in various vehicles. In other words, it was not random belts failing but rather a widespread and not immediately obvious incompatibility. You could test at the belt path and get less than 1" of movement, but the adjuster could be loosened by tapping it lightly or by bumping the seat (such as the movement of a child climbing in and out). Of course the company never admitted to or acknowledged any of this, but rather blamed user error for not getting it tight enough at the initial install.

That and other atrocious customer service issues relating to the whole event make me really not trust them at all for a variety of reasons, personally. But, it is true that I haven't read about any issues lately either.

Stelvis

I think you'll be happy with Chicco from a customer service standpoint. Their US headquarters is nearby to me and I know a couple people who work there and are very happy with their employer :)

KatieGrace

I think you'll be happy with Chicco from a customer service standpoint. Their US headquarters is nearby to me and I know a couple people who work there and are very happy with their employer :)

Yay! :) We have the Chicco Keyfit 30 for Cole now and have LOVED it. So, I am hoping I love the Nextfit just as much.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC