suggestions for mid sized vehicles that fit 3 kids

D&L's-mommy

sorry this is long, and I guess I'm not really looking for a mid sized vehicle, more like a wagon or minivan, lol
we're now starting to seriously start narrowing down our options for a 2nd vehicle. We're looking to spend $10,000, we can do up to $12,000 for the right vehicle. I want a 2006 or newer, and less than 70,000miles.
I'm going to be the main driver, I'm only 5'4" and have short legs so the front doesn't have to be huge, DH is 5'8" so he needs a little more room.
We have 2 kids, DS will be 9 next month, DD is 4.5, and I babysit my niece full time, she's 2.5months. I'm going to be getting new seats for thiscar, so trying to work with ones I already have is not an issue. The seats I want for my kids are pretty huge (monterey, frontier)and I want to RF my big niece as long as possible, I'm thinking a radian, but also like the mr, s4m, sureride, not really set on a seat for her.
We keep cars until they die, so I need something that will still work when my kids are teens. I'm thinking I really want a 3rd row, I like the idea of removing or folding down a 2nd row seat, putting DS 2nd row, DD and DNi 3rd row, but not sure how practical this really is.
I'm thinking mazda5, ford freestyle or ford taurus X, or I like the T&C or chevy uplander

what are your experiences with any of these vehicles? How have they done with safety ratings? Any common issues I should be aware of (as far as mechanical or CR installs)?

Last edited:
ADS

emntheboys

IIRC, the Uplander has pretty poor reliability and safety ratings. Maybe check your area for Honda Pilots in your price range. They have excellent safety & reliability, 3 rows, 8 passengers, all seating positions are usable- i.e. have headrests and lap/shoulder belts. The 3 row folds down when not in use.

I'd also steer clear of the Freestyle (Taurus X is ok). The Freestyles had a continuously variable transmission that is no longer produced and very hard to find. Replacements run upwards of $6k!

D&L's-mommy

from the research I've been doing, it seems that if we get a sedan we can get a newer car with lower miles, and better safety features, as opposed to a suv or van. I'm just concerned that as the kids get bigger they're going to be uncomfortable in the back of a sedan, but our 04 malibu has decent leg room. I also need to think about fitting 3 people in the back, can it be done comfortably?

nataliem257

I got a mazda 5 for under 20,000 brand new. It seats six, but drives like a car. I love it. It's a good alternative to a sedan with 3 kids, without the extra money for a van or a SUV. Has some if the conveniences of a minivan, like sliding doors. You could easily get one newer than 2006 in your price range.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC