Recommendations fora tall almost 3 year in a civic?

oshelef

Our oldest is almost 3 and recently has complained about her leg room in RF in her Scenera. The only way for her to get comfortable is that we have to remind her to cross her legs. But there really isn't that much room for her legs.
In our other car we have her RF in a radian that definitely gives her a few more inches of leg room. She is also getting close to the RF weight limit of the Scenera. So it's clear we need to do something.

We are happy with the radian in our other car, but worry, even with the angle adjuster that it doesn't leave much room for the passenger.

We could go FF, but why do it before we have to. Plus, she is still happy RF (doesn't know any better), and since she has plenty of space in the Radian in the other car we don't want to rotate there. Then it seems odd for her to be RF in one car but not the other.

Also, before too long, our second will grow out of her infant car seat, so the we'll need two more car seats of one kind or another. The Scenera could be used there if we replace it for the older child.

We also find the tightening strap of the scenera reasonably annoying.

What other carseats should we be considering? It should fit a long legged, ~33lb 3 year old, leaving as much leg room for the passenger as possible.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
What year is your Civic? I have a RF Radian in the center of my 2005 Civic with my front seats all the way back. I don't use the angle adjuster, but I do brace it against the front seats since I don't have advanced air bags. With the angle adjuster, it does not touch the front seats at all (but I'm short torsoed and I can't see over it with the angle adjuster; my husband prefers it with the adjuster but he's taller and I'm the one that drives the Civic most of the time).

oshelef

Our civic is 2008, so can't brace against our front seats. Haven't tried the middle seat, but it would be a tight fit width wise next to the snugride for #2 (not to mention it would need to be via seat belt, not latch in the middle. I'm tall, and have the driver's seat fairly back. The passenger seat has more flexibility.
Still, that's good to hear - I might experiment more with how the radian fits.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My 2005 back seat is worse than the 2008 as far as width goes. I don't know whether the Snugride will fit next to it or not. You are right that you'd need to use the seat belt to install in the center; in fact, you'd probably need to install the Snugride with the seat belt as well because the LATCH anchors are located too close to the center of the vehicle to leave room for the Radian.

The back seats are shaped differently between those model years so your results won't be identical to mine. But in the 2005 the Radian with the angle adjuster does fit behind the passenger seat with the seat pushed forward a reasonable amount. I don't use it that way partly because I need to squeeze two full-grown (as in, 6+ foot tall) teenagers in the back with the Radian and partly because said teenagers also need room to ride in the front passenger seat. If I were the only one riding in the passenger seat, it would be fine.

oshelef

Thanks. I'll experiment some. The benefit of the middle seat is that it's flatter to begin with, so it will have the carseat more upright than the sides.

Since even to use a radian we'll need to purchase another carseat, are there others to consider?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC