DD is now 4!! Plans in place for FF

molly&elle

Ok We made it past 4 ERF!! She has been complaining for months that she wants to FF. I told her May 1st she can be ff (she will then be 50 months!)

I stopped at a Buy Buy Baby to play with seats, I liked the Per Perego convertable-LOVE the no thread harness!!
the Maxi Cosi-cup holder :)
Foonf love the name :p
and the Britax Pavilion (sophia print was cute!!) like the new seat (we have an original marathon)

I saw Snugli-never heard of that brand! but we haven't been car seat shopping for awhile as we actually loved our car seat set up!!

Any you would recommend or not and why?

if it helps it will be installed in a 2012 Odyssey behind the driver. dd was 36pds 41.75in yesterday at her checkup

(seems all that 70pd ff is crazy huge but kids will be way to tall to fit!! my 8yo is only 56 pds but 53in)

ADS

tiggercat

What is she riding in now?

I wouldn't buy a convertible at this point, I would get a combination (child/booster) seat with tall harness slots. I don't know all of the US options, but I'd look at the Britax Frontier (new FR90 coming out soon), Graco Nautilus or similar type seats.

You are correct that the 70, 80, 90lb seats are unlikely to ever fit a child that big. In Canada, the same seats are sold with 65lb limits and that seems to be plenty for 99% of the kids (I did see a 65lb 2yo recently, nothing we could do there).

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

molly&elle

she is in a Britax Multitech
I could ff her in that, but I'd rather sell it as it's not FAA approved and it's big
I take her spare form my mom when we travel by plane (original marathon)

dneul

I would not look for a convertible if you have no plans for rear facing her. If her seat works for her now front facing then why not use it? When do you have plans to travel?

bubbaray

Frontier.

Though depending on maturity, I might also consider a HBB, like they do in Sweden (did you get your MT from there?)

ETA I measure weight for car seats based on what the child wears while in the restraint, not how a drs office does. So my kids, I use their weight in boots and a coat.

molly&elle

I would not look for a convertible if you have no plans for rear facing her. If her seat works for her now front facing then why not use it? When do you have plans to travel?

at this point we will be flying 3x in the next 6mo's, it is a pain to go to my mom's and get it and when we get back reinstall, just because of my schedule and hers to not collide much!

molly&elle

Frontier.

Though depending on maturity, I might also consider a HBB, like they do in Sweden (did you get your MT from there?)

ETA I measure weight for car seats based on what the child wears while in the restraint, not how a drs office does. So my kids, I use their weight in boots and a coat.

I was thinking about a HBB, I just don't think I cam stomach it! :eek:
Although she does seem to fit very well in her sisters Cybex xfix!! and wants that seat, adn Molly really wants a backless booster. Would that be safe for a 4yo? (I guess I know it is, but would you car seat techs do it???) We have never tried her in a booster for a test ride.

Mamasboys

I'm not a tech, but I would suggest two options for the upcoming trips.

First, it certainly couldn't hurt to "test-drive" DD2 in a booster to see how she sits. It helps that she's got her older sister modeling good booster habits (right?). If she fits and sits well (100%) of the time, boostering for the trips may work (although I'm not sure of her comfort on the plane w/o a harness--maybe a CARES harness for the plane?).

Otherwise, if her maturity for a booster *just* isn't there yet, perhaps purchasing an inexpensive, lightweight harness seat for travel could be another option. An Evenflo Maestro or Sureride would be suitable travel choices. Either of those seats (although, I think the Sureride is more comfy) would make good back up seats for Grandma, too.

gsdguenter

I wouldn't booster at this point, but I would look into a combination seat rather than a convertible.

I'd look at:

Harmony Defender
Frontier 85
Graco Nautilus/Argos
Recaro Prosport
SecureKid 300/400

The only convertible I'd look at would be the Evenflo SureRide. It has 19 in top slots and a lot of people seem to like it!

tiggercat

I was thinking about a HBB, I just don't think I cam stomach it! :eek:
Although she does seem to fit very well in her sisters Cybex xfix!! and wants that seat, adn Molly really wants a backless booster. Would that be safe for a 4yo? (I guess I know it is, but would you car seat techs do it???) We have never tried her in a booster for a test ride.

I would not consider a booster for a newly 4, under 40lb child. No way.
I'd go frontier, probably.

tiggercat

I wouldn't booster at this point, but I would look into a combination seat rather than a convertible.

I'd look at:

Harmony Defender
Frontier 85
Graco Nautilus/Argos
Recaro Prosport
SecureKid 300/400

The only convertible I'd look at would be the Evenflo SureRide. It has 19 in top slots and a lot of people seem to like it!

Thanks! I knew there were other US available seats I was missing.
The sureride would make a great travel seat, and affordable!

Mamasboys

I would not consider a booster for a newly 4, under 40lb child. No way.
I'd go frontier, probably.

I re-read the OP, I was thinking going-on 5yo (50 months is NOT 5, how 'bout my fine math skills, lol!). Yeah, I would not be comfortable boostering her. Heck, she's only 9 months older than my DS3, and HBB is WAY off in the future thoughts, kwim?

tiggercat

I re-read the OP, I was thinking going-on 5yo (50 months is NOT 5, how 'bout my fine math skills, lol!). Yeah, I would not be comfortable boostering her. Heck, she's only 9 months older than my DS3, and HBB is WAY off in the future thoughts, kwim?

I have an Aug 2009 "baby" so that's my thought process too. I literally had to hold him into his radian and buckle under great protests today because he wanted the goldfish I bought for our road trip. LOL! We are years from booster ready!

Kel

I would look at the Sure Ride. $99 and it's been on sale for 79!!!

Like others have said, it's lite with tall top slots!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC