WWYD? - Canada

PeachyPie

I have a 4 y/o DD who has more than enough car seats (2 Maestros and a Nautilus), so we're good for her. My son is in a CA primarily and a Guide 65 about one car ride per week.

Both have RF limits of 40lbs BUT only 36" (I'm in Canada). Right now he's about 33". I want to keep him RF as long as possible.

The Radian RXT is on sale right now for 90$ off (so $269.99).

My DD was 36" at 2 y/o and I must have not paid attention to the height limit on her CA because I kept her RF till she was 2y9m old. I'm assuming my DS will grow at about the same rate and be 36" by 2. But that's far earlier than I want to turn him to FF by.

Would you just use the CA/Guide 65 and ignore the 36" rule (I don't believe they have the height restriction on the US models, right?)? Or would you buy a Radian?

ADS

MamaErin

Re: WWYD?

I'm pretty sure they do actually have a height limit in the US but it is 40 inches not 36 here (I am in the US but have never owned these seats personally). I have heard a lot of people make the parental decision to use the CA beyond the limit but I'm not sure about the guide65.

mrosehughes

I used the CA until DS was 40", but wasn't comfortable using it beyond their stated height limit, which is 40" in the us. If the Canadian CA is exactly the same seat (which it is, right?) and just has a different height limit in the us, I personally would probably just use it to 40". Then maybe get a radian (or something else new that's coming out) to replace the guide 65, and switch seats so that the ca is his secondary seat.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor

It is not the exact same seat anymore. Canadian seats have structural changes to pass our anti-rebound standard. Dorel has insisted time and again that the 36" is firm (and 32" for the Scenera :(). So no, there is no 'parental decision' in there in my opinion. It's a firm rule that the manufacturer has been very, very clear on. I wish it was a higher standing height limit as it would be usable RF for so much longer, but, it isn't.

Stelvis

It is not the exact same seat anymore. Canadian seats have structural changes to pass our anti-rebound standard. Dorel has insisted time and again that the 36" is firm (and 32" for the Scenera :(). So no, there is no 'parental decision' in there in my opinion. It's a firm rule that the manufacturer has been very, very clear on. I wish it was a higher standing height limit as it would be usable RF for so much longer, but, it isn't.

So, does the Scenera still have a 34" FF min in Canada?

PeachyPie

Thanks everyone. That sucks, Pixalated :( I wish I could keep him RF longer than 36". Can you explain to me why it is this way though, since a baby could be 36" and all leg or all torso, which would be completely different proportions. At 36" he will be no where near the top of the shell. I guess I just can't wrap my head around WHY they have this limit. I've gotten the impression from others on this site before that Dorel is just silly about the height restrictions and that it is safe to use until they're 1" below the shell, despite Dorel being very steadfast in their height restrictions.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Short answer: because they say so, which is frustrating! But really - we don't know if they haven't tested a taller dummy, or they did and it failed. We are seeing that seats don't pass the rebound standard with a taller/heavier dummy (which is why the Foonf goes to 40lbs in Canada versus 50lb in the US - the 6 year old dummy passed everything else except the rebound standard, and the weighted 3 year old dummy passed the rebound standard). It just is what it is, and it's unfortunate.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC