Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Which option is best?

I weighed DS today on my home scale and I think he weighs about 29.5 lbs with just a diaper and T-shirt on. I'm going to weigh him at the ped's office on Monday with all his clothes for reference sake. We have him in a Boulevard right now but would like to keep him RFing as long as possible. He is 17 months old right now. If he hits 32/33 lbs before his 2nd birthday would you turn him and FF him in a tethered Boulevard or would you buy a Como and have him RFing w/o a RFing tether. I don't want to buy a Dorel produced seat even for just 2 lbs. I can leave a seat at my parent's house as justification for needing a new seat.

Thanks!
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Which option is best?

If it were me and he hit 33 pounds before 2 I would seriously consider buying a seat with a 35 lb limit.
    I would keep weighing him full dressed and use the BV for as long as possible before getting a new seat. It may be that you can get to 2 or more before he gains those last 3 pounds.
    And personally I would get a Scenera or maybe an Advance, but that's because I'm not worried about Dorel...

After reading the post about RF tethering the Como, I'm wondering if the cargo anchor I have in my car would count as a place to tether the seat. That would be the perfect solution.
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013

Anyone else?

My concern about Dorel is not just my son's safety; however, I don't want to give money to a company given I don't believe in its business practices.
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

I'd prefer to RF without the tether over turning him FF, personally. Depending on our budget at the time, I'd want a Como, since it would then be used for several years longer than the Scenera. But I'd feel okay with getting a Scenera while I saved up for a Como, too.

I would hold out for Recaro to state something in writing about RF tething, even if I had a handy cargo hook. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be okay, but it's just incredibly odd to me that they haven't included it.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

CPS Advocate

a non tethered rearfacing seat is STILL going to be safer than a forward facing seat. So it would totally be worth it to RF him longer. You could try the new triumph advanced. It has the 35lbs limit and a much taller shell than the older version.
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes...
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”

I'd buy a Como in a heartbeat, too, to avoid a Dorel seat (actually, I wouldn't buy an Evenflo seat, either, but that's just my ) Our Como is coming today and if I can get a good install with it, I may leave it untethered, but am undecided (I may tether it using my Britax D-Ring, too, but I've talked with 2 engineers about it who have pretty much convinced me that the tether extender/D-Ring is just lengthening the tether and not changing the distribution of the load AT ALL, so it's definately a parental decision to go against the manuf. recommendations). But in your case, I'd def. buy another seat to keep him RF an extra 2lbs at that age. Heck, my DS is almost 2.5 and one of the reasons I sold the BV to buy the Como is those 2 extra lbs.

CPS Fanatic

i honestly think that people are making too big a deal out of RF tethering. i would choose a non-RF tethered RFing seat over a tethered FF-ing seat ANY DAY. RF is safer than FF, period, regardless of any benefit of a tether.

EDIT: sorry luvbug, i missed your post before writing this.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Quote Originally Posted by tl01 View Post
    I weighed DS today on my home scale and I think he weighs about 29.5 lbs with just a diaper and T-shirt on. I'm going to weigh him at the ped's office on Monday with all his clothes for reference sake. We have him in a Boulevard right now but would like to keep him RFing as long as possible. He is 17 months old right now. If he hits 32/33 lbs before his 2nd birthday would you turn him and FF him in a tethered Boulevard or would you buy a Como and have him RFing w/o a RFing tether. I don't want to buy a Dorel produced seat even for just 2 lbs. I can leave a seat at my parent's house as justification for needing a new seat.

Thanks!
    I could have written your post (except Ryan is 28.8 pounds with just a diaper). I am definately weighing my options for Ryan if he hits 33 pounds before March. I will consider the Como but I am also considering the Britax Advocate (it is rumored it is going to 35pounds rf but it won't be out until november). I have 2 Britax BV's and would probably sell one since I too am like you about Dorel.....
    Steph
    Mom to R (5-steps),
    E and A (riding in Nuna Pipas)

I think we'll keep weighing him and once he hits around 31 lbs I'll order a Como for him. I guess that even if he makes it to 2 years before he hits 33 lbs, it would be nice to RF him for the extra two lbs anyway. I'm looking forward to hearing about what Recaro decides about the RFing tether. It seems hard ot believe that they would make this great seat from scratch and not include a RFing tether the way Britax does.
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013

CPS Technician stayinhomewithmy6's Avatar

Well, I'm kind of thinking about the same thing right now, even though E just turned 3. This morning when I weighed him he was 30.5 lbs (after breakfast and not quite fully clothed), but the other day when I weighed him he was 32.5 lbs (in the afternoon fully clothed). I can't afford a Como for him right now, but I know that I want to keep him RF as long as possible, which could be for another 6 mos if I can get a 35 lb RF seat. I originally thought the Uptown, but now I don't really want to buy a Dorel seat for various reasons, so maybe the Triumph Advance, but if I'm opposed to a Dorel seat, I should probably be opposed to an Evenflo seat, too, right? So, that leaves the Como, which I can't afford, so I'm so conflicted!
    SAHM to my silly six: X (12, seatbelt), R (11, seatbelt), E (9, Evenflo Amp),
    Z (6, Frontier 85 in booster mode), G (4, FF TFP) and M (2, RF Pavilion)

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    EDIT: sorry luvbug, i missed your post before writing this.
    I was about to say lol!

I do think the rearfacing tether can be beneficial, but the only time I would feel like it was necessary would be if there was something harmful for the child to rebound in to, such as the windshield- like in a truck. If you get a seat with nice sidewings that would add more protection and the como is said to have very deep sidewings so Id be very comfortable with that seat.
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes...
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”