Convertible Car Seat Advice

U

Unregistered

Hello!

I am looking for a convertible car seat for my husband's car (a 2012 Maxda CX9). My daughter is 22 months old, approx 20-21 lbs, and usually falls about 50% for height, so not particularly tall. She will not be in my husbands car very often, but when she is, it'll likely be a longer trip- maybe a 3 hour ride to visit our family. In my car, we use a Britax Advocate, I believe.

I've looked at so many seats, at a million different price points and am find myself thoroughly confused. I was hoping to keep the cost under $200, but I will spend more, if necessary.

Any chance that someone might have some advice for me?

Thanks in advance for even reading this!

Kate

ADS

MamaErin

For long trips and below 50% in height I would look at the Graco MyRide, a lot of people say it's like a big lazy boy for babies! It looks really cozy, reclines great for sleeping in the car both RF and FF, has great leg room so no cramped legs on long trips and is only around $130-$150. I own one myself and my son loves it. It also has 2 cup holders which are great for toys or snacks and drinks on long trips.

A few others that are highly recommended around here are the first years truefit, safety 1st complete air, and evenflo triumph advance

oliviacw

Your daughter is about the same age and size as mine (skinny little things, aren't they?). She's been very happy in a MyRide 65 since we moved her out of her infant seat about a year ago. It's got lots of leg room, and the cupholders are great for storing all sorts of things on longer drives. From a parent perspective it installs easily and is easy to buckle. It also has lots of room for growth - she'll be able to stay rearfacing for a minimum of another year in it, maybe even til she hits 4.

U

Unregistered

Thank you so much for your responses! I'm looking into all of these options.

In terms of the Graco My Ride 65...do you have the LX version? It looks like that version has the extra cushioning around the head...

Thanks again; this has been very helpful!
I really appreciate it.

MamaErin

I do have the LX version. The extra padding around the head is good for young babies but can be removed when older. My son is 15 months now so we took it out and it's still comfy for him. I would just stay clear of the Safety Surround one....it has a lot of complaints that the type of padding in it pushes kids heads forward and pushes down on their shoulders as they get older.

oliviacw

Mine's a slightly older one (I picked it up on clearance) without any extra head padding. My daughter didn't like any of the styles with close head restraints. But the myRide has nice deep sides so I think it has decent head protection even without any of those.

U

Unregistered

Again, I can't thank you both enough.

I feel like an idiot, but I had just always assumed that the headwings were some sort of extra protection. I had no idea they were intended for the younger babies in the seat!

Thanks so much again. I really appreciate it.

MaKoski

My girls slept like rocks in their MyRide65's they are great for long trips, easy to install, not too expensive, will last a long time RF for an average sized child, then is nice for long trips FF because it is recined.

jgomez411

My daughter is tiny like yours and HATES being in the car. She throws a fit the whole time we're in the car usually, but we took a 10 hour trip a few months ago, and she slept the whole way (we drove all night to avoid the carseat fight). I would definitely recommend the Myride!

U

Unregistered

Again, I can't thank all of you enough. I went out and bought a my ride 65, and we used it yesterday for our first 3 hour trip in a long time. She normally hates the car, but she was an absolute angel in her new seat. I think she likes this one more than the britax I have in my car!

Thanks for all of the suggestions; I'm very grateful.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC