new seats for 4.5 twins

mookie28205

Hello,

I've got twins that are outgrowing their current carseats for my husbands car (Britax Diplomat). We need to get new seats soon. I was leaning towards the Harmony Defender 360, but the short crotch straps concern me.

My husband doesn't keep the seats in his car all the time, so we need a car seat that is easy to install and not too heavy for carrying in and out of house.

I was also considering the Graco Nautilus and the Evenflo Securekid 400.
Wasn't thinking that I wanted to spend as much as the Britax Frontier on back up seats.

I've currently got them in True Fits in my car. The short crotch strap drives me crazy.

The other alternative would be to bite the bullet and get the Britax Frontiers for my car and then use the True Fits for my husbands back up seats for now. Then, we could replace with those with a booster in a year. Still would rather have to cough up less money now.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Defender 360, Nautilus, Securekid 400, or other?

Is the Britax Frontier worthy of the higher cost? I didn't see that much of a difference in the Britaxes that we used in the past.

Safety is huge concern. But want to be practical too. If it's a hassle to install, I worry that my husband might not have the seat installed correctly each time.

Would love to hear thoughts

ADS

jujumum

Hi! Welcome to C-S.org!

Some additional info would help:

Are the kids boys/girls?
What are heights/weights?
What model/make vehicles?
Do you need to fit a third seat or person with them (ie. 3 across)?
Do you plan on using the harnessed seats as boosters later on or purchasing new ones?

:)

mookie28205

1 boy and 1 girl, 4.5 yrs old. They are 39 lbs, not sure of height but under 40".

We have 3 cars:
Jeep Compass 2012 (my work car)
Ford Escape 2011 (husband's work car)
Toyota 4 Runner 2010 (extra family car that we don't use as much).

The True Fits are currently in my Jeep Compass and rarely come out. My husband takes the Britax seats in and out of the Escape and the 4 Runner.

Not planning on any other kids, so just 2 across is all we need now. However, would love to have narrow seats because it's nice to squeeze an adult between the kids when a grandma visits (instead of taking 2 cars or reconfiguring for the 4 Runner).

Looking to replace the Britax Diplomats since we are at the very limits for height and weight.

Husband was thinking booster, but I think they still need the 5 point harness. I like the idea of a combo seat that would allow us to use them as boosters later- unless there are advantages of having different boosters later.

nataliem257

I have a frontier 85 for my oldest daughter, have had it for 2 years, and I adore it, it was worth very penny to me. That being said, compared to other car seats, I would not describe it as overly easy to install. With your twins being 39 pounds you're knocking on the door of no latch ( which is by far the easiest way to install it)-- the short belt path is easy to maneuver but very difficult to secure tightly, the Long belt path is pretty difficult to accomplish but it's rock solid when you do. I can do the LBP in about 3-5 minutes in a Mazda 5, assuming I don't accidentally let the slack out half way through (other frontier owners will feel my pain on that one), but thats with quite a bit of practice. To this day my husband still can't do it correctly I have to do it for him. Once you get it in, it's my favorite seat I've owned. Safe, comfy, easy to clean and my daughter loves it. Being able to convert to a high back booster adds to the value as well, shouldn't ever have to buy another seat.

nataliem257

One more thing I forgot, not a chance of getting an adult in any back seat that I know of with 2 frontiers, they take up quite a bit of room width wise.

jujumum

My favorite combo seats are the following and why:

Graco Nautilus - Easy to use, easy to install, love the steal bars at the back, nice design, great fabrics, high harness, fits narrow kids great, latch till 48lb or vehicle limit. However, the crotch strap can sometimes be uncomfortable for boys and it is known to have some head slump issues, particularly if the vehicle seat cannot be reclined a click or two. New crotch buckle is difficult to open apparently. My favorite seat for my average sized 5.5 yr old.

Frontier 85 - Easy to use, comfy and wide inside (almost too wide for narrow kids), high harness, long lasting as a booster, not known for head slump, super leg support, latch till 40lb or til vehicle limit. However, it is more difficult to install than other combo seats and is a very wide and heavy seat. My favorite seat for my long legged 7 year old.

Evenflo Securekid 300/400 - Easy to use, made in USA, lightweight, might be a bit narrower than the above seats, fancy latches can make a quick install. However, it doesn't seem as heavy-duty as the above two. New crotch buckle is difficult to open apparently.

There are others out there, but the above are the ones that I have personal experience with.

I would recommend using the Truefits as the spare/DH seats and getting a combo seat for your vehicle. If you can, visit a store that has all of them (like babies r us) where you can test your kids in them and also test their fit in your vehicle.:)

firemomof3

:yeahthatlove: Exactly
I had the Securekid for a while and really liked it; crotch strap is a bit longer & more comfortable for the boys. Its very quick/easy to install and its lightweight so its easy to move around.
I love the GN, not much I don't like about it. My 5.5y/o son just outgrew it by height last month & he never complained about the crotch strap.
We now have the Frontier for my ds and its awesome, love love love it. Its a bit more involved when it comes to installations but nothing of concern. There is lots of room everywhere for a bigger kid (my son wears a size 7 pants and 8-10 shirt & he is very comfortable in it).
It sounds like your kids are on the smaller side so the Frontier might be overkill. I would check out the other 2 seats and see which one you like better :)

mookie28205

Thanks so much for the replies. If I look at the Frontier- should I consider coughing up the extra money for the Frontier 85 SICT? What are the major differences. I know that there is extra side impact and would make it wider. What other differences?

Perhaps I need to measure kids' height again. They are both tall for their ages, but skinny. I don't want to have replace seats again in a year. Buying 2 new seats at a time is $$$. At least I have a consignment sale this weekend, so the incoming money will offset the cost of the new seats a bit.

Brianna

I wouldn't bother with the SICT. The only difference is the air cushions on the outside of the seat, and the top tether is optional at all weights (but still very recommended at all weights) whereas the normal Frontier 85 requires top tether use past 65 pounds (but still should be used at all weights). It is unlikely that your twins will still need to be harnessed past 65 pounds given their current weights, so this is likely irrelevant to how you would use the seat.

Unless your twins are all torso, the Nautilus or Secure Kid should be fine for them height-wise.

firemomof3

There is no other difference between a "regular" Frontier and the SICT other then the cushions on the side.
My son's stats are in my siggy and he just outgrew the GN, so you can use that for a comparison.

mookie28205

Thanks again!

Another question: Is there a difference between the different seat cover choices for the Britax Frontier? They look like different textures. I'm wondering if one is more durable or comfortable.

nataliem257

I have two, one in cardinal and one in canyon in in my mothers car, there's definitely a difference. The canyon is more velour like, the cardinal has more of a vinyl texture, I much prefer the cardinal, it has held up much better and it's easier to clean. 2 years later and other than the sun fading the black it still looks brand new.

firemomof3

I have two, one in cardinal and one in canyon in in my mothers car, there's definitely a difference. The canyon is more velour like, the cardinal has more of a vinyl texture, I much prefer the cardinal, it has held up much better and it's easier to clean. 2 years later and other than the sun fading the black it still looks brand new.

Yes the covers differ, we're talking about the actual seat.

nataliem257

Thanks again!

Another question: Is there a difference between the different seat cover choices for the Britax Frontier? They look like different textures. I'm wondering if one is more durable or comfortable.

I was responding to this question, not the question about the SICT

D&L's-mommy

I would also suggest going to babies r us and letting the kids try them out. Also, don't be afraid of buying each kid a different seat, you want them to be comfortable or they will try to get out of their seat. We tried the securekid, frontier and nautilus. My dd (4.5yo 43" 40lbs) picked the nautilus. I was trying to urge her into liking the frontier, but she much preferred the nautilus. I've grown to love it and it's really easy to install in all of the vehicles I have tried it out in. I believe the securekid is slightly narrower than the GN and frontier so that may be a better option for fitting an adult in the middle, but sometimes it depends on your vehicle. I was worried that I wouldn't feel she was safe enough in the GN but it really is a sturdy seat, all the seats we've recommended are safe, and I know for some people moving away from Britax seats is hard, but if they aren't comfortably within your budget, then don't feel bad getting another brand. I would also suggest shopping around online before you order, you will find many more color choices and better prices.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC