Car seats for Australian vacation

kaharris83

DH just found out he may be going to Australia for a month for work. He'd like the kids and I to come with him. DS1 will be just about 3 and DS2 will be 7 months old. Can we bring car seats from the US and use them? If not, what would we need to do as far as getting seats. I found a few older threads here but was just wondering if there was any new info out there.
Thanks!!

ADS

finn

Legally you can only use Australian seats in Australia.......we however chose to take our radian & use that when we went over on holiday, ds was 3.5 when we went & we chose to ff him for the time we were there to make the radian less obvious. He was also 18kg/40lbs which is the weight limit for Australian seats, so he would have had to use a booster :(

Neatfreak

Yeah, we used the Scenera that we already owned when we were in Australia last. I'm sure it was really conspicious - it was pink and the lack of a RFing tether was really obvious! But we were not stopped by any law enforcement authorities or curious local parents.

kaharris83

Hmm. Ok. I'd rather not buy new seats just for a month and it seems silly to not go just because of car seats, when I have perfectly good seats. If I didn't have seats at all or was going to have to rent seats I would not go. As long as I can install my CCO and find something for DS1 that can be installed I guess I would just play dumb if questioned. I found something that mentioned all seats must be top tethered. Don't both the CCO and Radian have top tethers or are their tethers different?

ETA Ok I see the difference in tethering now. So I see Britax seats can be Australian tethered. Would taking our MA70 and BV70 and tethering them Australian style be a better idea? I know still technically illegal since they are US seats. Not worried about the plane as it will be United so we shouldn't have an issue there.

Last edited:

FrauDrA

We went almost two years ago. #1 was 4.5 and used a Clek Ozzi (which wasn't compatible with our rental car!!), #2 was 17 months and still in his bucket (which caused a few issues on the plane, but I had all the info to prove it was acceptable).

sparkyd

I've got a friend over there right now road-tripping with 3 kids in their Canadian seats. So far, so good and they've been gone for almost 2 months. We spent an hour in my garage going over all the various tips and tricks for installing her seats so she'd be ready for anything and it seems to have worked out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC