Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Marathon or Fisher Price

Our son is 6 months and weighs 20lbs (he is our Mr. Chubby) His car sear only goes up to 22 lbs so we are in a quick search for a new one. We are going to go with either the marathon or the fisher price that is similar to the marathon, but less expense. I have read that the Britax has extra features that the fisher price doesn't..such as rear facing tether. What is a tether? is it the same as LATCH? Also, does anyone know what other features the britax has over the fisher price? I have done some research but I am not very familiar with all the car seat lingo and I thought you all might be a good resource for me and my time crunch! Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Marathon or Fisher Price

If you can afford the marathon go with it. I wanted it but we ant afford it so I got the Fisher Price Safe Voyafe.
    I know the straps are better quality, the latch is better, the fact you can tether it rf etc,,,,
    A tech can tell you a lot more. I just wanted to tell you my friend has 2 marathons and I have the FPSV and I sure wish I could afford the marathon. I would buy it in a breeze

Johnathon 10yrs, 76 lbs, 5-steps
    Seth, 6yrs, 43lbs in Clek Oobr
    River, 4yrs, 38lbs in FR85 and Clek Foonf

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Re: Marathon or Fisher Price

Tethering is part of ff LATCH, but a few carseat manufacturers allow their seats to be tethered rf as well. Britax is one of these.

Some of the advantages of the Marathon (MA) over the FPSVD
    -tether rf
    -65 lbs ff weight limit instead of 55
    -has built in lock-offs for use with non-locking seatbelts
    -alligator style LATCH connectors, which most users feel are more convenient
    -plusher (and in many users' experience) higher quality covers with more options for patterns

Children often outgrow seats by height first, so that 10 lb difference is usually a non-issue. It's difficult to guage at 6 months, but I'd probably go for the MA for the higher ff weight limit in your case. That's probably 4-5 years away, but might be useful if he's outgrowing his infant seat by weight before height. Plus, even at 20 lbs he still has a good amount of time left before he hits the 33 lb limit for rf, so you can take advantage of the rf tether.