Seat question/ infant with Colostomy

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
FWIW, the Maxi-Cosi Prezi has the most ridiculously low buckle when it's set to its lowest setting of any seat I've ever seen. It's unusable on any child, but it may work here. The Prezi would be an expensive seat for a foster baby, but less expensive than a SN seat.

D&L's-mommy

My son has a stoma (same place as your little guy's), so I may be more familiar than others because I've seen it "in action", he had it placed when he was 5YO, and we ended up having to switch to a booster because the shoulder straps would cause him pain. I know boostering isn't an option for an infant, but I don't think a 3 point harness would work either because it still comes across that area. Are you finding the hip straps or the shoulder straps are the issue? for DS it was the shoulder straps, but again he was older and ff. If the techs think a folded washcloth is safe, I would try that. It would give some cushion between the strap and the sensitive skin of his stoma. Would his doctor have any suggestions? sometimes the social workers at the dr can help you get products you need. Too bad that hope seat isn't available, that looks like it would do the trick. Perhaps there's a seat you can rent from the hospital, his insurance may cover it. I've learned it can't hurt to call and ask

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Could you use a preemie insert in the Britax to push him forward and get the buckle even lower?

I'm wondering what the weight/shoulder strap limit is on the insert. If it's the 12-14 lbs./1st shoulder strap I'm thinking of, it probably won't be a solution for very long (if at all)(

I would probably suggest a folded wash cloth or small hand towel between the stoma/bag & harness before I'd suggest using an insert past it's height/weight. (The thin towel would add less bulk that a coat or jacket.

The other concern would be that the harness isn't going to tighten equally on both sides (need more room over the bag). some CR are easier to do that with than others.

Just pictured the result of a uber quick stop or even minor crash on the bag - I'd want as much as I could covering the bag .:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC