Traveling Alone with <1 y.o. - need help with carseat/stroller recommendations

Lisa799

Before my son was born, I got a bucket/stroller caddy system thinking once he outgrew that, I would just get a cheap umbrella stroller, since we babywear and I didn't think the stroller would be getting much use anyway. Currently we're using the Chicco KeyFit 30 & the KeyFit caddy & DS is almost 8 mos.

I underestimated the amount I would use the stroller when I travel. I travel for work at least once every six weeks and take DS. Since my DH stays home, that leaves me getting through the airport with a large suitcase (checked), a carry on size suitcase (checked), our backpack diaper bag, a carry on tote (with my computer in it), my cooler bag with breastmilk/supplies, DS (up to this point in a Beco Gemini, which he's rapidly outgrowing), the carseat (taken on the plane) and stroller (gate checked in a heavy canvas bag). I finally have a good system down where I wear him and use the stroller as a "cart" to transport the carseat & move luggage...and now he's getting ready to outgrow the Chicco seat by height.

I'll still plan on wearing him through the airport and I need a stroller that is very sturdy, large underneath basket and is easily maneuverable. I also need to figure out which convertible seat will be best for travel & how to transport the convertible seat. I'm thinking I might have to go to two large suitcases and check them both so I won't have as much to carry on? Then I will be left with wearing the baby, pushing the stroller with any carry on and either stowing the convertible seat in/on the stroller or pulling it behind (GoGo Kids?). I wanted a radian but now I'm concerned about lugging it and installing it in a rental car by myself. Something lighter weight and easy to install is going to be key for this to work.

I would love some recommendations on what has worked for others. I'm nervous about undoing what is working now and starting from scratch again! TIA for your help!

ADS

jjordan

If you travel often, then I would seriously consider getting a lightweight travel seat for just that purpose. If you are able to buy a seat on the plane for your son, you can bring the car seat on board with you and he can use it during the flight. (Or if not, usually airlines will let you bring and install a car seat on board if the flight is not full.) Here is a link to a spreadsheet with information about most of the convertible seats on the market today. One of the columns is the seat's total weight. For travel purposes, lighter is better, although I wouldn't necessarily go for a 12 pound seat over a 13 pound seat, for instance, since 1 pound is not going to make much difference.

Some thoughts on a few seats...

The Britax Roundabout 50 (15.5 pounds) might be a good choice as far as light-ish (although certainly not the lightest out there), but very easy to install. It's only available at Target. If you have time to wait for a sale, it often sells for $100 a couple times a year, otherwise it's about $150, I think. It will last rear facing to age 3-4, on average, and usually to age 5-6 forward facing. If you don't want to get a separate travel seat, this might be a good option.

The Combi Coccoro (11 pounds) is well-loved for travel, but it is small and outgrown relatively quickly (about age 2 for RF and age 3-4 for forward facing), so expensive for how much use you will get out of it.

The Cosco Scenera (8.6 pounds) is also well-loved for travel, and the price is right (about $35-40). The installation is not always easy, and for rear facing it can be tricky to get the correct installation angle.

The Evenflo Tribute (8.5 pounds) is along the lines of the scenera, though possibly a little more $, and possibly an overall easier installation.

Lisa799

Thanks so much for the advice...I was already considering the Coccoro as a "2nd seat" but I had the same concern about the price for a backup. I'm going to head to Buy Buy Baby & Target today to check out some seat/stroller combos and see if I can find something that will be workable!

Thanks so much for the tips! :)

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I am mobile right now so I can't link my posts about travel but we traveled internationally last summer with s ton of carry-ons, a Combi Coccoro, Baby Jogger City Mini and an Ergo. I wore DS in the Ergo, strapped the CCO to the stroller, and loaded the stroller with the carry on luggage. I practiced packing and unpacking the setup before the trip and it worked beautifully.

MommyShannon

I travelled for work without DS or DD a few times. Nothing like what you are, but I ended up using a larger carry on that could hold my breast pump, cooler, laptop (I had a padded sleeve for it), and anything else. You might be able to get down to just one case and keep a few diapers handy in an outer pocket then a car seat strapped onto it. If you aren't already, try wearing him on your back. It makes me so much more capable for lack of a different word.

ebp913

We got the Coccoro for my husbands car and for air travel and the way I see it, there's really not much of a advantage to rear facing vs forward facing on a plane after age 2 so the seat while outgrown quickly, will still last you years for travel. I am no CPST but the kind of impact that makes FFing at a young age dangerous seems unlikely to be the kind of force you would most likely encounter while flying like turbulence and drops in altitude.

However you would then have the issue of the car seat in a car at your destination so I can see how it might not be the best choice. The weight simply can't be beat and because of the nature of the base of the seat, I bet you can find a stroller with a bumper bar that you can just set it in.

As for the stroller, I am loving the Valco Snap for air travel. It has a pretty large basket for such a lightweight stroller and is full featured (reclines, good sunshade, etc). We fly quite a bit as well and I am planning to get the Snap 4 when it releases.

Hazelandlucy

I just flew by myself with a stroller, luggage, the Coccoro and my 13 month old and I could not have done it with another seat! I ended up having to carry it in one hand while I pushed the stroller through the airport and I am under 100 lbs. I installed it RF easily and she slept the whole time! I have also taken it to England and it fit in all sorts of compact UK cars. Totally recommend it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC