I think my neighbor isn't using seats....

Shaunam

but I'm not sure. She has a 19 month old and an 8 month old (yes 11 months apart :eek:). I used to see her younger baby in a carrier, but he got too big for it recently. Now I don't see seats AT ALL. I'm not normally nosy, but I've kind of been watching them to see what they put the kids in. They don't take them out very often though, so I'm not seeing anything.

I've seen a convertible seat in their yard, but I've never seen any seats installed in their car. Now granted, there are 9 people living in that house and they share 2 cars, so maybe they only put the seats in when they go somewhere? But one day, I saw the grandma get out with the 8 month old and I didn't see a seat at all.

And the kicker? I was playing around with installing seats in the car the other day, to figure out what I want to use for the new baby and was installing the seat outboard. 1) because I don't have a middle seat belt and 2)they wouldn't fit next to DS's seat anyways. The mother comes out and was talking to me and told me I should put it in the middle. I didn't explain that I didn't have a middle seatbelt, I just told her it wouldn't fit next to DS's seat. She goes, "Oh you have a seat for him in there?!" Um yeah! He's 2 1/2 and 28 lbs! Of course I have a seat. Her 19 month old is close to DS's size though (a little bigger actually), so maybe if her DD isn't in a seat, it seems weird to her that DS still is?

Ah, a car seat mystery...

ADS

mommy2env

The question is....what will you do if you confirm that they are not using any seats with the kids? I hope they are by the way :(

Connor's Mom

Since they don't leave the house very much and if they park out front you can always take a little peak in their car.

Shaunam

Since they don't leave the house very much and if they park out front you can always take a little peak in their car.

I already did. :eek: Actually, they park right beside us, so I see in it everyday. I never see any seats. I think the *only* way they do it, is if they install seats every time they use the car. They walk most places and I *never* see them leave when they actually take the car. But I run into them at wal-mart all the time, so go figure. :rolleyes:

The mother has mentioned her DD's seat. She said it "went to 100 lbs". I did explain to her that the harness likely only goes to 40, which she didn't seem to get. And it's very important because her DD is a chunk! She has to be at least 35 lbs already.

And I told her she could get a convertible from the health dept for her son.

I think if I did find out she wasn't using any, I'd talk to her rather than call the police. The fine here is only $25 I think. :thumbsdown: Talking to her would probably make more of a difference.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oi ... if I were you, I'd probably have a Post-It note attached to my fridge with their lisence plate numbers + vehicle makes/models/colors (ready for the event that you do actually see the kids riding without safety seats so that you're prepared to report them) :eek: Although, maybe if you have a good enough relationship you can share some printed info: kinda like "wow, look what I learned, isn't it interesting, I'm so glad I found it so I can keep my kids safe, here I have extras because I know other loving parents will appreciate it, too" :whistle:

Jordynsmama

They probably have the baby carrier in the house that they always take in with them with the baby so they always re-intsall it without the base or just throw it in there....and they probably do not use a seat for the toddler but have one(in the yard) b/c, you know, as long as you have one you are good to go;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC