Nissan Leaf - three across back easily? I don't see how.

meldew

Hi all,
I am the happy new driver of a Nissan Leaf. Now for the hard part: how to fit the kids in it...

Our last vehicle was a Ford Econoline, so no difficulties there, but the fuel costs were killing us. Right now we are sharing the Leaf and a Honda Pilot (my husband's car).

The thing about the Leaf is that I have 7 kids, but rarely drive more than 4 somewhere... if we all go together we take both cars. BUT, I need to be able to pop seats in and out of the Leaf quickly, depending on who needs to go somewhere. I'm not big or strong, so that gets hard fast. My older kids help, and I trust them to help buckle boosters, but I feel like I need to be the one installing the complicated seats.

I have an almost 6yo who is about 50 pounds+ who was in a Britax Frontier 5 point seat in the econoline. Now I have him in an Evenflo high back big kid amp booster. Easy in and out.

I have a 3.5 yo who is about 30 lbs. He was in a Britax boulevard that's about to expire, and I'm not sure what to do. He was rear facing up to age 3, then has been forward facing. When I've had him in the Leaf, he's sat in a Graco turbo hbb fine. But I know that's not optimal. Is there something safer for his size that is NARROW and easy to install/remove? I can put the Britax frontier in the Pilot for him as an alternate.

I have a 2 yo who is about 20 pounds, very small girl. She rides rear facing in a Britax roundabout currently, installed with latch but not tether. That car seat is in the Leaf all the time. I'd like something narrower. The center rear vehicle seat is pretty much unusable with this car seat on one side and abooster on the other.

My other four kids are 12 and up teens. I've tried to fit one older teen in the back between the Graco hbb and the Britax roundabout. It was an awfully tight squeeze, with me helping get him buckled! Maybe an extender for the buckle there?

So, if you've read this far, is there a way to fit three seats across the back, and for the seats to be fairly easy to take out if I need to transport a couple of teens?

I was thinking of the Combi Coccoro times two, maybe one rear and one forward? and then the bubble bum for my 6yo. I did buy a 3" rigid buckle extender for one of the rear seats with the booster to be able to try to reach in between and buckle...

Is it just not possible? When I need to I can drive the Honda Pilot, but we so want to economize on the gas costs.

Any advice?
Thanks.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
1. You cannot use a buckle extender with a booster.

2. Try Diono Radians -- one RFingo outboard with an angle adjuster and one FFing center. They puzzle together nicely and will leave room for a teenager or a backless booster in the other outboard seat.

meldew

Ok thanks, will look into those. Best third seat for the almost 6yo? Third radian, or booster? Need to really be able to pop that seat in and out especially.
Thanks!

Oh, and is the angle adjuster something I buy along with radian? Going to look!

Last edited:

EmmaGrace'sMom

This is the angle adjuster [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Diono-60320-Radian-Angle-Adjuster/dp/B006I1QTYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354715242&sr=8-1&keywords=diono+angle+adjuster"]Amazon.com: Diono Radian Angle Adjuster: Baby[/ame]

I would probably do a booster for the 6 year old. I'm not sure you'll be able to do a high back booster in a 3 across though. I would try an Evenflo big kid, it seems to be narrow at the right places.

U

Unregistered

I think the Big Kid is the same one I have - minus the cup holders.

Any thoughts on the Combi Coccoro? It says small, lightweight, etc.

About to order two of the radians unless I hear something on the coccoro today.

Thanks!

meldew

Thanks, my response seems to be gone so I'll repost; hope it doesn't show up as a double post!

Before I order two radians, any feedback on the coccoro for the youngest? WOuld it fit ff for the 3.5yo? It's just so light and that's attractive.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC