Question What to do next ..?

leebeeag

Hi. I currently have 2 regents. I purchased both my sons regents brand new and had them sent over here...one is now past expiry (a few months) and the other is a couple of months off. My boys still ride in them, they have never been in an accident my car is always parked in the shade of a huge tree or in the garage...I would love to purchase new seats however my ex has now stopped his child support payments last month so finances are really tight and new seats are a dream at this stage... My question is this...Aust has 10yr expiry the USA has 6 yrs expiry...why is there a difference?? And as I know the history of my seats can I still use them as I don't see in the near future me able to purchase new seats unless I win the lotto !!! (which I need the money to buy a ticket!!)

ADS

leebeeag

Ds1 is 12yrs and 30kgs
Ds2 is 8yrs and 24kgs
Ds3 is 4yrs and 15kgs

Ds1 still fits in the regent on highest slot but mostly sits in an adult belt (no carseat)
Ds2 is in the regent on highest slot
Ds3 is also in the regent on 2nd lowest slot

The law in au states any child under 8 must be in a booster. Hes 8 3weeks ago and technically allowed to sit without a booster But I'm not comfortable with his height and the fit of a normal seatbelt on his neck for that I'd rather him still be in a seat (booster or harnessed)

amyd

What about a booster for the 8 yo? Would that be an affordable option? And the non-expired Regent for the 4 yo. How close to 5 is he? I might be ok pushing it a month or 2 over to get him to a safe booster age if another harnessed seat is out of the question. My 4y8m DS sits pretty well in a booster but that's fairly recent. The closer to 5 he gets, the better he does.

leebeeag

Thanks for your reply.
Yes my 8yr old could sit in a booster however I've got no money for one at the moment...
My ds3 only turned 4 2weeks ago. And as he still falls asleep in his seat regurlary I'd rather keep him in a harness than a booster even in a few months.my dilemma continues...

newyorkDOC

leebeeag said:
Ds1 is 12yrs and 30kgs
Ds2 is 8yrs and 24kgs
Ds3 is 4yrs and 15kgs

Ds1 still fits in the regent on highest slot but mostly sits in an adult belt (no carseat)
Ds2 is in the regent on highest slot
Ds3 is also in the regent on 2nd lowest slot

The law in au states any child under 8 must be in a booster. Hes 8 3weeks ago and technically allowed to sit without a booster But I'm not comfortable with his height and the fit of a normal seatbelt on his neck for that I'd rather him still be in a seat (booster or harnessed)

You are in Austria right?

Eu regulation actually states that children under 135 cm are required to ride in an appropriate car restraint.
http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5761018721/m/8101026762
How tall are your older sons? I'm pretty sure EU directive trumps individual country regulations as being a member of the EC means agreeing to adhere to community directives.

Not sure about Austria but here in Italy you can find LBB super cheap (like 15-20 euro). I
Personally I am tossing my American seats at expiration even though my eu seats are good for 10 years. For all I know they use different materials that really do degrade over 5-6-8 years. It's not a risk I'm willing to take.
For the 4yo, I would look for after holiday sales on group 2-3 seats. I am pretty sure I've seen super cheap ones at the supermarket for like 25-50 euro. Does your supermarket do points programs where you accumulate points and can trade in for gifts? Ours usually has at least one car seat in the catalog. Or perhaps grandparents can get one as a Christmas present?

leebeeag

no he doesn't pass the 5 step test. So I personally think a hbb is best. I'll just continue using his regent until I save for one. Maybe I can ask my relatives to give me cash for Xmas instead of gifts for me, so I can get him one more sooner.
Thanks for all your advise

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC