Crash dynamics of a high speed rear impact

mrosehughes

Hi all,

A FB friend of mine posted a question (not to me; in a parenting forum, but I would like to answer her if I can) about the dynamics of high speed rear impacts and RFing car seats. Basically she said she's not questioning the safety of RFing, but knows that that safety is due, in a large part, to frontal impacts making up a larger percentage of crashes and would like to know more about RFing vs FFing for rear impacts since 1) people tailgate at high speeds in her area and 2) her DS's seat is in the third row and close to the rear windshield of her small minivan.

I was thinking of suggesting she try to get a seat that allows RF tethering or has a rebound bar given her specific case, but she's a physicist (and I'm a physical scientist) so it'd be great if I could point her to videos or studies that show more specifics.

ADS

Brianna

Post #211 here has a link to a blog written about a crash involving 3 RF'ers rear ended by a semi.

I don't think there's much actual data on it though, if there is any.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Hi all,

A FB friend of mine posted a question (not to me; in a parenting forum, but I would like to answer her if I can) about the dynamics of high speed rear impacts and RFing car seats. Basically she said she's not questioning the safety of RFing, but knows that that safety is due, in a large part, to frontal impacts making up a larger percentage of crashes and would like to know more about RFing vs FFing for rear impacts since 1) people tailgate at high speeds in her area and 2) her DS's seat is in the third row and close to the rear windshield of her small minivan.

I was thinking of suggesting she try to get a seat that allows RF tethering or has a rebound bar given her specific case, but she's a physicist (and I'm a physical scientist) so it'd be great if I could point her to videos or studies that show more specifics.

You could direct her to the study performed on children 0-23 months: http://fcs.tamu.edu/safety/passenger_safety/certified-tech/rear-facing2.pdf One of the stats that's frequently quoted from the study is that children 12-23 months are 5 times safer RF than FF. Table 3 shows where that number comes from (5.32 is the exact figure), and the heading for that column says "All crashes (including rear)"

Maybe it would give her some peace of mind to know that while she's aware that RF is important for frontal crashes, rear crashes were included in the data. :)

Pixels

Rear crashes are statistically rare and generally at low speeds, making up only 4% of serious crashes. Every rear impact has two crashes: the front vehicle experiences a rear impact, and the back vehicle experiences a frontal impact. Also, because both vehicles are moving the same direction, the difference in speed (delta V) is much lower.

It is true that rear facing in a rear impact is more dangerous than forward facing in a rear impact. But because rear impacts are much less common and much less severe in general, when you look at all crash types together, rear facing is still much, much safer overall.

bnsnyde

I have a 3-year-old RF in the back of our van. It's the only space open and his head is actually toward the center of the van, more so than if he were FF. So in this case the RF has that benefit.

But I would not want to get slammed at high speed from behind, especially with an infant rear-facer. I know statistics are on my side, but things happen. Too bad a seat can't be perfectly ideal for every single type of crash.

mrosehughes

Thank you all! That helped me a lot by clarifying what I know about the statistics, crash dynamics, and existing anecdotal evidence. And I think it helped her, as well :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC