Favourite SUV?

jacqui276

I'm considering replacing my car in the near future with an SUV/CUV. Are there any that you love or hate and why? I plan to get a new one (2012 or 2013). DD rides in a backless turbobooster and DS rides in a RFing Radian without an AA (too young) that I would prefer to be able to fit behind the driver's seat. If there is a vehicle where he would fit in the center and DD could still comfortably buckle outboard, that would be great too.

My preference is a foreign vehicle rather than an American made one, although I will consider a Dodge as my BIL works at a dealership and can get me a family discount. I like the option to do 3 across when needed so the RAV4 is out unless the newer models don't have that silly seat belt/middle seat set up (DH has an '08 and it's ridiculous).
Something not too terrible on gas would be nice too since a round trip to work for me is 72km (about 45miles). My price max is probably around 30k, but cheaper is better!

I would like to narrow down my choices a bit before I go out and try some out. :)

ADS

bubbaray

I love my RAV4. If its only for carpooling you could get the optional 3rd row.

Gas mileage sucks in the V6 but it sure is the most fun to drive out of the small SUVs. 285hp. Weeeeee! It's also 4WD not AWD

I'm not a fan of many other import SUVs.

I also don't know if you'd be under $30K Cdn with a 3rd row. I have the top of the line V6 Limited but no 3rd row. Definitely far above $30k.

canadiangie

Yikes, that's a long commute. I have a long commute as well when I come into the city, but when I do I opt for dh's Lancer over my Pilot. A Honda Pilot btw is pretty bad on fuel IME. You would fill it once a week at $75 a tank, I'm guessing.

Is your Dh keeping his rav?

jacqui276

Yikes, that's a long commute. I have a long commute as well when I come into the city, but when I do I opt for dh's Lancer over my Pilot. A Honda Pilot btw is pretty bad on fuel IME. You would fill it once a week at $75 a tank, I'm guessing.

Is your Dh keeping his rav?

I live in the far south (edge of the city south) and work up north so it is a decent drive. If I can convince myself that working with adults rather than kids wouldn't be so bad, I may try to get a job at the hospital near my house which would substantially reduce my gas (I could walk to work) so gas mileage wouldn't matter as much. I haven't quite convince myself yet though. :p

DH is keeping his rav. I'd like to replace my protege for something a little roomier.

3 across would be for carpool scenarios occasionally. The RAV4 with the 3rd row looks like it would be just over 30k, which may potentially be doable.

bubbaray

My commute is about 75k round trip 3x/week. I am easily spending $75 per week in gas. Mama has a lead foot even in our insane Vancouver traffic

jacqui276

I spend $60-$75 on gas/week right now depending upon how many days that week I am working. My car is quite similar to DH's RAV4 on gas...
Thankfully our gas prices aren't quite as high as in BC though!

Any other SUV/CUV suggestions? :) Ravs can't be the only ones anybody likes around here!

canadiangie

I spend $60-$75 on gas/week right now depending upon how many days that week I am working. My car is quite similar to DH's RAV4 on gas...
Thankfully our gas prices aren't quite as high as in BC though!

Any other SUV/CUV suggestions? :) Ravs can't be the only ones anybody likes around here!

It's the 3rd row, foreign, brand new, under 30k combo that has me stumped.

Mazda CX9? Do you consider that foreign? are they under 30k brand new?

Do you care about TA's in the 3rd row or can you live without?

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I really like my '05 Hyundai Santa Fe. DD's RXT (w/ AA) fits fine behind the driver's seat. My 5'9" DH can sit comfortably there with room to spare behind the seat. I've fit many 3 across arrangements in it as well. I don't know how gas mileage and other features compare because it's the first SUV I've owned. I feel like it's good on gas though. We can drive to SIL's house in NJ (5-6 hour drive) on one tank.

bubbaray

I think in your price point, you're looking at Kia/Hyundai and thats about it for imports. I don't think you'll find a new RAV4 V6 with a 3rd row, unless it is the base model. Possibly if you go with the 4cyl, but then you might as well go for the CR-V base, which you might be able to do 3 across in the 2nd row( previous model could, not sure about this new one). I'm pretty sure all the Subies are out for that price, unless you went used or base model. I'm not sure of Nissan's current pricing, but they are usually close to Toyota and Honda.

I think you'd be more likely to find a domestic in your price range. Ford Escape. Maybe a GM or Chrysler? I consider the Mazdas to be a Ford with a different badge, but YMMV. I don't think a new CX-9 is under 30, maybe base?

S

SoCalCarSeatMama

I love my 2012 Durango. I have the V6 and I get 26-28mpg on the highway and 16-18 around town. The Radian fit behind the passenger or driver's seat without an angle adjuster for use (I am 5'5 and hubby is 5'10). It was touching but that's not a problem because the Radian can brace and my car allows it on either side.

NVMBR02

msg221 has A Kia Sorento I believe. You may want to PM her.

My neighbor bought a 2013 Sorento 2 months after we bought our 2012 Pilot and I really like her vehicle. We needed something bigger, since we have 3 kids and a medium sized dog but the Sorento works well for her two kids. I know she gets a bit better gas mileage than I do. I average 22- 23 mpg per tank, a little more than half of my driving is in town.

jacqui276

It doesn't have to have a third row as long as I can cram 3 carseats/boosters in it occasionally. Most of the ones with a third row option are beyond what I would like to spend.
By foreign, I mean non-American (so Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, etc.). The only American one that I will consider is Dodge because I can get a discount on it and BIL is a mechanic at their dealership so knows the vehicles well for doing repairs.
If it has a third row, it doesn't need any tether anchors. The only place that I need a tether anchor is the seat directly behind the driver (for when DS is old enough to be FFing). I like to have DD on the passenger side for school drop off-pick up so that she's not getting out onto the road by herself with busy traffic.

I am totally fine with a base model vehicle to keep the price lower (found lots online for between 20 and 30k new). Almost every car company that I have peaked at online seems to have at least one SUV/CUV in the low to mid 20k range.

The RAV4 was low on my list of possibilities because of the weird seat belt arrangement, unless I were to get it with a third row (but that puts it at the top of my price range). My mom has a '07 CRV that I drive occasionally and like and have had no issues getting 3 across in it.

I currently have a 2003 Mazda Protege5 but with the two kids (occasionally 3) and 2 large dogs, it can get pretty crammed sometimes. It is getting older, rusty, has been in a number of accidents, and has just the basics so almost anything would be an upgrade. It's at the point where the repairs are starting to cost more than the car itself, so isn't really worth it anymore.

By looking online, I am overwhelmed with the possibilities so was hoping to narrow it down a bit and get opinions before test driving a few. My main pre-rec is that a Radian can fit behind the driver RFing (and install with a seat belt nicely FFing for in the future). I plan to bring my seat with me and try it out in the different vehicles before committing to one as well though. I'm 5'6" so don't have the driver's seat all the way back.

Are there any that anyone absolutely does not like that I should avoid or that have weird quirks about them? I recall seeing a few threads about Subarus having the weird seat bite that makes the boot of the Radian fit funny.

canadiangie

I would be willing to go that route as well. :)

Okay, cause that opens up a lot of options, at least in terms of price.

I think at this point you need to decide if you want a midsize SUV (I'm pretty sure you do), not a full size (I'm pretty sure you don't), and decide if you want a 3rd row just in case. If you want a midsize with third row and foreign you can narrow your list right down. If you just want 3 across friendly, foreign, midsize you can narrow the list down.

3rd row?? Yes? No?

(I vote 3rd row. I'm partial to having all my bases covered)

bubbaray

I think you should look at the Ford Flex. Used or off lease, th AWD version should be in your price range. Also the Highlander. Possibly the newer Pathfinder -- has been restyled so I know people are getting good deals on those.

jewlsvern

Look into the Mazda CX-5. They have the new sky-active engine so gets great gas mileage for and CUV. We looked at one this weekend and really liked it.

jacqui276

Okay, cause that opens up a lot of options, at least in terms of price.

I think at this point you need to decide if you want a midsize SUV (I'm pretty sure you do), not a full size (I'm pretty sure you don't), and decide if you want a 3rd row just in case. If you want a midsize with third row and foreign you can narrow your list right down. If you just want 3 across friendly, foreign, midsize you can narrow the list down.

3rd row?? Yes? No?

(I vote 3rd row. I'm partial to having all my bases covered)

Midsize over full size would be good. A 3rd row would be fantastic, but is not a deal breaker if I can't get one. 3 across friendly or third row is a must. I currently can fit my various 3 across set ups in my protege (apparently has rear hip room of 49.1"), so as long as the back seats are as wide without any weird middle seat configurations (odd seat belts, big humps, stuff like that), I would imagine they should work?

I think you should look at the Ford Flex. Used or off lease, th AWD version should be in your price range. Also the Highlander. Possibly the newer Pathfinder -- has been restyled so I know people are getting good deals on those.

Thanks, I will look into those!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC