Trip with a just turned 2 yr old

kirst

Were planning a trip in feb or april with dd who will be two in feb. We will bring our carseat on the plane but I was wondering about ff or rfing her space wise.we have a radian a blvd and roundabout to choose from. Would they fit rf? Id rather take a britax seat since it installs easier. Any tips to get it through the airports? We will also be bringing a lightweight stroller.

ADS

mrosehughes

The britaxes will likely fit RFing on standard sized airplanes, but not on express type carriers (like the planes with fewer than 20 rows). It is a beast to carry up and down the aisles, though, as you have to lift it up over the seat backs. We flew a few times with our blvd and then started taking the radian, which I much prefer (because of the backpack straps). The radian can RF with an AA on some planes (SW airlines, for example) but it is very tight, and installs much more easily FFing. I usually put the seat inside our stroller for navigating around the airport.

cupcakepirate11

I'm asking myself the same question! I have always brought our marathon because it installs so much more easily in cars. It is a bear to bring on the plane but it installs very easily imho

We are flying on jet blue Thursday and I'm 70% sure ill just bring the britax because while the radian is thinner its just as heavy to carry!

As far as rf/ff on the plane make sure you have a window seat for rf :)

kirst

Good point about rfing! Id hate to be stuck.

Do you rf ur child on the plane and how old is ur child?

How do u plan on getting the carseat through the airport? I have a britax lightweight stroller the one that is discontinued and redesigned to fit their infant seat. Sorry cant think of its name. I was going to see how the carseat would sit on the stroller with the leg part up and strap it on if it fits. It prolly wont but im going to try.

kirst said:
I have a britax lightweight stroller the one that is discontinued and redesigned to fit their infant seat. Sorry cant think of its name. I was going to see how the carseat would sit on the stroller with the leg part up and strap it on if it fits. It prolly wont but im going to try.

Could that be the Blink? Maybe B-Nimble even?

LittlePeanut

Personally, if it were me and those were the seats I had to choose from, I'd take the Radian with a collapsible trolley to bungee it onto. They fold and therefore fit through the scanners which makes security less hassle. There is no issue on the plane installing it forward facing (which is what I would do with a 2 year old on a plane (assuming they are over 22 lbs) - Even though I'd rear face in the vehicle). Installing it RF on the plane is a PIA because of the closed belt path (get a seat belt extender or your screwed!) and the length of the seat. That way, the 2 year old can be entertained with the videos too AND the tray table folds flat over the Radian but is not an option with any other seat.

The only seat I would choose for that age over the Radian for airline travel is the Scenera. It's cheap, super lightweight, easy installation on the plane and in most vehicles, AND there are no pieces to go missing (like the Radian RF boot).

kirst

With the trip were taking we will be on two planes each way and have an hour drive from there. I saw a pic of the bus/van that will drive us and its older and has the lab belts that have the adjuster like the airplane seats. Would the scerena be easy to instal rfing in the bus? Do you think we would need towles if we went with that seat?

LittlePeanut

Those belts are a breeze with the Scenera. As for the recline angle, it's really hard to say. What I've seen people do is to take a pyramid of pool noodles and run a piece of string through one and tie it to the seat (it tucks neatly under the seat and won't interfere with the harness). Either that or tuck it in a carry on bag, just in case you need it. There are tricks that may work if the angle isn't quite right RF and avoids needing pool noodles or towels but it's a bit tricky to explain and may not work if the seats are a slippery fabric.

LittlePeanut

If you have a rolling carry on or a stroller and a bungee cord, it would just strap on to either. If not, yeah, just carrying it isn't a big deal.

Yup, I would definitely go the Scenera route. It's going to make life a lot easier not to have to lug a heavy seat. Grab a few bungees and strap it to the back of the Blink, upside-down so that the base is on top of the canopy, fabric side facing the stroller. That way it won't inflict upon your pushing the stroller and kiddo can still ride in the stroller. I hope you have a wonderful trip :)

scoutingbear

Having just done 3 flights with my 2 year old, wear your child going through security! You don't have to take the child off most of the time, it keeps your hands free, and the only extra security I had to do was have my hands swabbed. The stroller and car-seat have to go through x-ray. I put mine and M's carry ons in the carseat in the stroller and just unloaded onto the conveyer belt. I kept her on my back so that I could have my hands free and not worry about where she had run off to.

Whatever you decide for your seat and getting it through the airport, practice so you can get it in/out/off/on as smoothly and quickly as possible.

jjordan

If it's just one child and two adults, then I wouldn't bother buying a travel seat (unless you plan to travel a lot). I'd bring the roundabout that you already have and load it up on the stroller, along with all your other carry-on stuff. As scoutingbear suggested, I'd plan to use a sling or baby carrier to carry the toddler through the airport. One parent carries kid, the other pushes the stroller, and at that point the only difference between bringing your roundabout vs a scenera is the few feet that you're carrying the car seat from where you gate-check the stroller until you get to your seats on the plane. And the big advantage to the roundabout is the very easy installation in whatever vehicles you end up riding in at your destination. (Whereas the scenera is sort of annoying to install in some cars...)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC