Foonf vs Peg 5-65 (?vs Radian)

TwinMomma

So I posted a few months ago about my dilemma around fitting my 2 tall twins in convertibles, one behind my tall husband. We decided to wait for the Foonfs because we thought it would only be a few weeks. Obviously, we are still waiting! We were lucky that we had other convertibles to use in the meantime but we won't have them for much longer. I am wondering if we wait for the Foonfs, or now consider the new Peg Perego Viaggio 5-65 Convertible. Or even the Radian (was not an option then but now that they're almost one and can use the angle adjuster, I guess it is an option)

Our priorities:
-safety
-ability to ERF
-ease of use

They are 1 yo. DS is 95th percentile in height-tall and skinny. Seated shoulder height about 12 inches. Overall height 31 in, weight 23ish lbs
DD is 85th percentile for height-but pudgier. Seated shoulder height is 11 inches. Overall height 30 inches, weight 24ish lbs

We drive a 2012 Ford Explorer. We likely need to fit a seat behind my tall (6,4) DH. Apparently cannot fit a Radian in centre due to the boot. Perhaps a Peg or the Foonf could fit in the middle?, but I'm not counting on it.

I feel like I have researched this for hours and I have a bunch of numbers swirling around in my head! Can somebody break it down for me...
ERF in a Foonf vs Peg 5-70 (vs ?Radian)
-tallest harness slot height for RF
-overall seated height for RF (or is this as important?)

(I see that the highest harness slot for the Peg in RF is 14.2 in. Somewhere I see the Foonf is 17ish but is this RF??? If so, why am I reading in places that the Peg will get you RFing close to as long as the Foonf/Radian?)

Considering all this, what is our best option?

Thank you! (sorry this is so long)

Last edited:
ADS

TwinMomma

Re: Foonf vs Peg 5-70 (?vs Radian)

Anybody? :)

Can someone help me with the THS for RF? Am I right that the Peg is 14.2 inches, and the Foonf is 17ish? Or is the that for FF for the Foonf?

Just wondering which will allow you to RF longer (I know it depends on the child, etc, but just in general) And I know the Foonf recently lowered it's weight limit so makes it harder to compare them

Thanks

Beckers

Anybody? :)

Can someone help me with the THS for RF? Am I right that the Peg is 14.2 inches, and the Foonf is 17ish? Or is the that for FF for the Foonf?

Just wondering which will allow you to RF longer (I know it depends on the child, etc, but just in general) And I know the Foonf recently lowered it's weight limit so makes it harder to compare them

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the peg, but the harness slot is not what you need to look at for rearfacing height, since the straps need to come from at or below the child's shoulders. Its the shell height that matters. Most seats will require at least 1" of hard shell above the child's head, but that is not an across-the-board rule, so you'll need to look at what each seat requires. :)

careynj

I find that even with the angle adjuster the radian takes up a lot of room rear facing in my parents 2013 explorer, I would try the peg out, it looks quite nice.

April

I'm not familiar with the peg, but the harness slot is not what you need to look at for rearfacing height, since the straps need to come from at or below the child's shoulders. Its the shell height that matters. Most seats will require at least 1" of hard shell above the child's head, but that is not an across-the-board rule, so you'll need to look at what each seat requires. :)

I could be wrong, but I thought the peg only allows certain slots for RF? That could cause a long torsoed kid to outgrow the seat RF before reaching the overall height limit or 1" rule.
Posted via Mobile Device

tam_shops

I could also be wrong, but for some reason, I thought the Peg and new generation Britax seats had similar height shells?

I've never been a fan of the new generation Britax seats as my kids are skinny w/ a long torso. My guy was still RF in a classic MA just before 2yo w/ a few #s to go weight wise, when the new generation Britax seats came out. I tried him. He was already at the top of the shell.

He moved from our MA to our RN at ~2 1/2yo. He stayed in the RN until this Fall when it was crashed. He was (then) on the top slot if he were FF and had a couple inches left above his head for RF, I guessed it was ~6mths. I waited for the Foonf release (then) due the end of September/October, before I put him into a Frontier. If he were a year younger, I'd have bought another RN. If the Foonf was available or I could have waited to try it, I may have leaned that way.

The 5# between a RN and Foonf can mean a really long time for some kids, but on the flip side, the (was it 2") height difference can mean a really long time for other kids. It depends on if you have a string bean or a moose! LOL

tam

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I think you're going to have a really hard time getting a comparison in this regard because the Peg is so new in Canada that not many of us have seen it yet, and of those of us that have, we haven't seen it in many vehicles.

Is there any way for you to try the seat out at the store and see what you think? Is there any reason why Britax isn't on your list of seats you're considering? They're generally pretty compact front to back.

The Peg infant/child seat is called the Primo Viaggio 5-65 convertible here in Canada. (It's called 5-70 in the US because of the different weight limit.)

I'm thinking Radian's are a complete no-go if you have a tall driver.

Sorry I can't be of much specific help. It's hard to compare when looking at 2 seats that have 1 just newly available and the other not yet in stores. We have a great group of knowledgeable people here, but we just haven't had time to get knowledge on this one. :thumbsup:

TwinMomma

Thank you. I thought you had to look at both? But I'm very new at this!

A quick search tells me the seatback height on the Peg is 24in with the headrest at the top position for RF, 26in for FF
For the Foonf, it is 26in with the headrest at the top. Does anyone know if the headrest can go to the top in RFing? I will continue to search, and/or email Clek

TwinMomma

I could be wrong, but I thought the peg only allows certain slots for RF? That could cause a long torsoed kid to outgrow the seat RF before reaching the overall height limit or 1" rule.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, you're only allowed to use the first 7 headrest positions
(so up to 14.2in THS)

TwinMomma

I could also be wrong, but for some reason, I thought the Peg and new generation Britax seats had similar height shells?

I've never been a fan of the new generation Britax seats as my kids are skinny w/ a long torso. My guy was still RF in a classic MA just before 2yo w/ a few #s to go weight wise, when the new generation Britax seats came out. I tried him. He was already at the top of the shell.

He moved from our MA to our RN at ~2 1/2yo. He stayed in the RN until this Fall when it was crashed. He was (then) on the top slot if he were FF and had a couple inches left above his head for RF, I guessed it was ~6mths. I waited for the Foonf release (then) due the end of September/October, before I put him into a Frontier. If he were a year younger, I'd have bought another RN. If the Foonf was available or I could have waited to try it, I may have leaned that way.

The 5# between a RN and Foonf can mean a really long time for some kids, but on the flip side, the (was it 2") height difference can mean a really long time for other kids. It depends on if you have a string bean or a moose! LOL

tam

Good point about weight vs height, and string bean vs moose! This is really what I'm struggling with. I just wish I could predict. I don't want to make a $1000 mistake buying 2 Foonfs! :)

DS is very tall, 95-99 percentile for height. He looks skinny because he's so tall, but his weight is about the 70-85percentile.
DD is pudgy but also tall. About 85 percentile for both height and weight

So I need a seat for tall pudgy babies! :)

It's my understanding that most kids will outgrow a seat by height rather than weight though? So maybe I should be waiting for the Foonf?

TwinMomma

I think you're going to have a really hard time getting a comparison in this regard because the Peg is so new in Canada that not many of us have seen it yet, and of those of us that have, we haven't seen it in many vehicles.

Is there any way for you to try the seat out at the store and see what you think? Is there any reason why Britax isn't on your list of seats you're considering? They're generally pretty compact front to back.

The Peg infant/child seat is called the Primo Viaggio 5-65 convertible here in Canada. (It's called 5-70 in the US because of the different weight limit.)

I'm thinking Radian's are a complete no-go if you have a tall driver.

Sorry I can't be of much specific help. It's hard to compare when looking at 2 seats that have 1 just newly available and the other not yet in stores. We have a great group of knowledgeable people here, but we just haven't had time to get knowledge on this one. :thumbsup:

Yes I guess it's hard to know! Both so new

And we were able to try the Peg out and it does fit. Helps that you can have it at an incline of 35-45 (DH eyeballed it..hope he was right)

I believe the Foonf would fit based on photos from Clek's facebook page. They have it at full recline, with the ARB, and apparently the front seat is only pushed forward one notch

And as to your point about the Britaxes..I do love the seats. But my understanding is that they have a short shell. So with 2 tall babies I wasn't sure it was the best choice. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though

thank you!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I believe the Foonf would fit based on photos from Clek's facebook page. They have it at full recline, with the ARB, and apparently the front seat is only pushed forward one notch

And this is how you would need to install it as well. The ARB is required in Canada and can only be used in the most reclined position.

tam_shops

Sorry, just saw this reply

Our goal would be to RF to at least age 3, hopefully more

My 2yo was too tall for the Brtiax seats when the new ones came onto the market. He was still RF in his Classic style one (no longer sold in Canada). But, he has a *really* tall/long torso, so I'd expect most kids to make it longer.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of first generation seats (or anything) b/c things take time to work the bugs out...

If you have a 3yo rear facing goal, what about a Truefit? I know it only has a 35# RF goal, but that got both my kids to 3yo. Way cheaper at Zellers if you can find one, especially since you need two of them...

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC