your 5mo and your SS1

LuvBug

ok I have a targeted question for people with 5mo's and a SS1. or if you remember exactly about your 5mo in the SS1

where are your 5mo's shoulders in the SS1 right now?
do you use cloth diapers or disposables?

My nephew is in the SS1 and is 5mo(go figure lol!) and he is STILL on the bottom slots! though he is finally over them instead of right at. It seems to me like he is going to be shorter in the torso(though who knows what time will tell!!) but he doesnt seem to be growing as quick as DS and DNi did. He still fits into onesies that they were outgrown in torso by his age.

of course this is a good thing for him to be able to last long in seats... DNi has more time in the MA than I thought(or than before), I think its because she has potty trained now. She still has a year for sure. We were going to do the regent but not now, not sure, hopefully something new and maybe better will be out by the time they need to play musical seats.

feel free to chit chat too :p

Last edited:
ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ds was 5.5mos when we bought the SS1, and he was about half between the middle and top slots. He's 10.5mos now, and in the top slots with about 1" of growing room (2" shell above his head.) He's very tall torso'ed as he's only 29" tall overall right now.

5.5mos:
gracoseats003.jpg

9.5mos:
kidsstartedjuly07042noredeye.jpg

(and yes, his chest clip is a little low in this picture. although it looks lower than it actually is because of seeing more strap over his shoulder. The slot in the shell is slightly below what you see in the fabric, so he's right even with the top slots. The bizarre thing is it wasn't at all low while he was sleeping. :shrug-shoulders: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/snowbird25ca/july 4 07 upload/kidsstartedjuly07040.jpg)

We use cloth diapers, and looking at him in the car tonight he has about 1" left to grow. So disposable would buy us another 1/2" or so I guess?

(He's 7.5mos in the pic in my siggy)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We stopped using the Safeseat about 7.5 mos to send it back to Graco (it's been 2.5 wks now and no new seat yet) and Ilana was still using the bottom slots. Shes in sposies, but we never used anything bulky in the car w/ the boys so it never made much difference. This is a 6-9 mos outfit she has on in this pic so I'm thinking it must've been taken right before we stopped using it.
safeseat002.jpg

LuvBug

Jennifer that is about how my DNe fits. Finally over the bottom slots but not very much. Itll be interesting to see how he grows! I figured he would be long torsod like the rest of us, but he may or may not- too early to tell for sure... but not following the same pattern as DS and DNi.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The boys were never long torsoed early on I don't think, but became that way after 1 or so. AJ moved to the top slots in his Radian right before 3, but hasn't grown but maybe 1/4" in torso since then. Evan is only 34", but would outgrow the Scenera in height ffing in another 2" max. Ilana seems more leggy though (yay Ilana, b/c I'm sure not, lol) so maybe she'll be the strange one that could actually use a 40# for a while. :p

Dillipop

This was at about 6 months.

misc058.jpg

As you can see he is just over the middle slots with a nighttime diaper (probably 2 infant pfs with a cover.) He is still using the middle slots at 13 months and seems to fit pretty much the same, a little closer to top slots, but definitely not needing them. I'd say he still has 3-4 inches over his head.

mimieliza

I don't think we moved up from the bottom slots until she was six months old. We cloth diaper. DD is small (10th percentile).

steph

I'll do "free chat"

I put Ryan in the SS1 at Babies r us and he had just about 1 inch of shell above his head. He is 28 pounds, around 33 inches with around a 13 inch torso.

Kellyr2

I don't recall exactly where he was at 5 mo, but I do know he was at least 6 mo before I moved the harness up to the 2nd slots. And he's in cloth diapers.

ymherrera

At 5mo my DS was using 2nd slots...I'll try to find a picture

found some pictures...1 he isn't buckled in I was getting ready to take him out and he was being cute...gives you an idea of where he was fitting in the seat at the time though... I am guessing 4-5 months or so because I took him out of it at 6 months.

DSC00193.jpg

babyadrian033.jpg

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC