Anyone know anything about the Chevy Uplander

amy919

I really think I need to part with my beloved Freestyle. I love the car, everything about it, but I need to lower my car payment. Plus, Ford's warranty sucks and I'm only covered to 3 years/36K miles. I have had the car for a year and half and I have 16K miles on it right now.

I don't want a car. I just don't like driving cars. I hate when I have to drive DH's Fusion. So no car suggestions, please. I can't bring myself to go the minivan route, I've tried. I've test driven them, I'll admit I like the way they drive, but I can't do it. Then I started noticing the Chevy Uplander. Yes, I know it's a minivan, but I don't cringe when I look at it.

I don't like the other crossovers that are similar to the Freestyle, so they're out.

I don't really want to go back to an SUV with gas prices they way they are. All of my driving is local stop and go and I can't afford the $70 to fill the tank every week. I also can't stand the smaller SUVs like the Escape.

It's got to have a 3rd row as well.

So, does anyone know anything about the Uplander? Good points, bad points?

ADS

DonnettaCB98

CPS Technician
We rented one a few months ago. The back row head restraints are in they way for a foward facing installation (I have marathons). I couldn't find in the manual how to remove them (said you couldn't) and it also didn't say that you could fold that back seat down (the head restraint will fold back) and then hold the restraint while folding the vehicle seat back up so it stays folded back and out of the way. There is only a top tether anchor in the middle position in the back which I didn't like. Since I couldn't figure out how to get the head restraint out of the way I just put my daughter in rear facing. The captains chairs on this model only had LATCH on one seat because there was a built in child restraint on one of them.

amy919

We rented one a few months ago. The back row head restraints are in they way for a foward facing installation (I have marathons). I couldn't find in the manual how to remove them (said you couldn't) and it also didn't say that you could fold that back seat down (the head restraint will fold back) and then hold the restraint while folding the vehicle seat back up so it stays folded back and out of the way. There is only a top tether anchor in the middle position in the back which I didn't like. Since I couldn't figure out how to get the head restraint out of the way I just put my daughter in rear facing. The captains chairs on this model only had LATCH on one seat because there was a built in child restraint on one of them.

Those are major issues for me. Ugh!

Thanks!

DonnettaCB98

CPS Technician
I decided I'd never buy one for the reasons mentioned. I can't figure out why a manufacturer would only put one Top tether (and from what I understand you can't add more) on a minivan in the back row. People with kids usually buy this type of vehicle.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Have you considered an Acadia/Outlook/Enclave? (one's GMC, one's Saturn and one's Buick, but they're the same vehicle.)

They're like a minivan in an SUV type body, and decent mileage. Our 2nd row is a bench and it has 2 LATCH positions and a middle TA. 3rd row has a middle TA. So a total of 4 TA's in it.. It's really spacious too, and we love ours. I think it's the best of both worlds. (I didn't bring myself to even test drive a minivan..lol)

eta: I've had 3 across in the 2nd row including a MA and SS1, and the MA/SS1 both install well in center 3rd row, didn't try other positions. :eek: Radian installs in the 2nd row too - ff'ing all 3 positions, rf'ing both outboard positions.

TN Mary

Trudy...

We're considering an Outlook... great safety ratings, standard safety equipment, USEABLE 3rd row, good gas mileage (some numbers I find are comaparable to the Oddy).

What made you decide on the 2nd row bench vs 2 captain chairs?
Also with the bench, is there something that folds down in the middle that can make the 3rd row accessible?

Thanks! That Outlook is gorgeous! :D

snowbird25ca

Trudy...

We're considering an Outlook... great safety ratings, standard safety equipment, USEABLE 3rd row, good gas mileage (some numbers I find are comaparable to the Oddy).

What made you decide on the 2nd row bench vs 2 captain chairs?
Also with the bench, is there something that folds down in the middle that can make the 3rd row accessible?

Thanks! That Outlook is gorgeous! :D

The bench - well, it's what the one on the lot that we wanted had. :p Beyond that though, it seems to me you had to go with the XR if you wanted the option of 2nd row captain chairs, and we just wanted the XE because it was less expensive.

The 2nd row seats have a 60/40 split, and either side can be moved forward with the pull of a handle for access to the 3rd row. If you have seats installed 2nd row in both outboard positions though, 3rd row access would be difficult. We've done with a person crawling in the back once, in the future for how infrequently we might use it, I'd probably just take a seat out and put it back in... there's room for a 3rd adult in the 2nd row with both car seats installed, so that makes it easier - and depending on the seats, you could install 2 seats on the 60 part of the bench and leave the 40 free to tumble forward when you needed 3rd row access. ;)

Our 3rd row is always folded though aside from when we had the salesman with us or when I've played with my seats in the 3rd row, so it hasn't been a problem we've had. If I needed routine and easy access to the 3rd row depending on the # of car seats, I might just go with captain's chairs though.

teekadog

Last rumor I heard, GM was going to stop making minivans, just like Ford, they're dropping out of the game because they can't compete with the competition. So I think this is the last year for Uplander. If you check the reviews, Uplander always gets the worst in minivan comparisons... I test-looked at an Acadia and it seemed nice, but I love me my sliding doors :D My sil recently went from a Suburban she loved to an Outlook and she can't believe how much she likes it.

Oh, if you're parting with your Freestyle to lower your car payment, I don't know if an Acadia is for you. It was more expensive than every minivan we looked at.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Those are major issues for me. Ugh!

Thanks!

I haven't ever read the owners manual for the Uplander so I can't say for certain. But, On my Tahoe the head restraints don't phyiscally come off. I have to fold the seat down and the headrest folds back behind the seat. I leave the headrests folded back for forward facing car seat installations. It's no different if you removed or flipped the headrest on any other vehicle.

As for LATCH & top tethers. There is LATCH & top tethers in both caption chairs on the 2nd row per the '07 LATCH manual. Also the 3rd row center has a top tether location also.

I can say at least the nice thing on the Uplander compared to the Ody is that the center top tether is on the seat back on not on the tailgate sill which goes over the cargo area.

all together ooky

My neighbor has one.

The Uplander has non-removable headrests that are tilted forward in the third row. This pretty much makes any of the larger carseats impossible to install forward-facing. Radians do not install well FF (third row outboard) without a lot of work (tilt down seat to bend the headrest backward, then have someone hold the headrest back (otherwise it will lock back into place) while you're installing the seat. PITA!)

The third row seats are heavy and awkward to take in and out.

The second row has lots of room between the two captains chairs, but that also pushes the captains chairs towards the sides of the van (nearer the doors). Thus, less space for side-impacts.

Can you tell I'm not impressed?

cdncasper

My employer rented one today while his truck is in the shop and I was really not too happy with what I saw. LATCH/UAS only on the captain's chair, only 3 top tethers, not much storage behind rear seats, weird rear headrests, seats seem really low and seats don't seem comfy.

snowbird25ca

Just a note on the tilting headrests... pretty much all new vehicles will have headrests that come forward like that because of vehicle regulations and they're designed to decrease risk of neck injury in passengers. Many vehicles can have the seat reclined a bit, which prevents interference between the car seat and the headrest. ;)

The 2nd row headrests on my Outlook are like this - and without reading the manual and knowing to recline the seat, you'd think the MA was incompatible... but when you recline it like the manual says, it's no problem at all. :thumbsup:

teekadog

I love my Mazda5. But I'm sure you're all sick of hearing that ;)

What is the name of that weekly car review show on PBS? Motorweek? I'm totally spacing on the name. But they reviewed the Kia Rondo this past Saturday and seemed pretty well impressed with it. If there were a Kia dealer in my town I'd take a look just to see. I don't know what they thought of the Mazda5, but they said the middle row of the Rondo was roomier than the 5 (and had a bench rather than 2 captains). The 3rd row is just as tiny (in fact the Rondo is about an inch shorter than the 5, I think), but I don't know if it would have the stupid seatbelt issue the 5 has. It costs a bit less than the Mazda5, so definitely under $20,000, and has that incredible Hyundai warranty. Anyway, unless you hate Kia and/or Hyundai (and I know many do), it might be worth a look to see if it fits what you are looking for size, price and warranty-wise.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC