Is this cargo barrier safe? Or alternatives, please?

trinalb

I have been trying to convince DH that we need to secure items in our car in case of an accident. He thinks I'm crazy! Comprehensive links supporting this would be great...

The reason for this post, though, is that I want a barrier to prevent cargo from flying around the vehicle in an accident. I've found this on a local auction for an amazing deal and wonder if it's a good, safe option. It is apparently pressure mounted, adjusted by wing nuts:

F573BFB3-AA8B-4093-9845-25B30AA08CAF-24523-000018D749B0FEF1.jpg

If this isn't a good option, why? Is there such a thing as a very budget friendly barrier that is safe and installs/uninstalls in one quick, easy step? I don't think DH will go for it if it's complicated, time-consuming, expensive, or takes up much cargo room.

Oh, we have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder but are considering getting a minivan or truck in the near future instead.

ADS

canadiangie

It too will likely fly in a crash -- like as soon as your cargo slams into it, or the frame of the vehicle shifts at all. Then you've got the barrier flying into your occupant space, and your cargo is following right behind it.

The only truly secure option is one that is installed. As in bolts to frame.

Or you can secure your cargo to the cargo hooks in your cargo area...

I use an old tether strap; one end is attached to a cargo hook, then I loop the strap through the frame of my stroller, and then clip the tether hook back onto the cargo hook. And I only have a stroller in the vehicle if i know im going to need it. Groceries get packed forward towards the back of the 2nd row. Heavy items get put on the floor of the front seat. When we travel I pack everything in laundry baskets instead of heavy suitcases. It's not a perfect system, but I'm trying. I can't have my dealership install a barrier because I need access to my 3rd row (it's usually folded flat, but not always).

trinalb

Are those cargo hooks actually capable if holding heavy weights? They look so flimsy! I don't think DH would go for a permanently installed cage. He is already unhappy about using something that can be removed. And don't the cages obstruct your view?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC