Question What to do?! 3 yr and 10 mth, new convert or booster?

Smithfamily2007

Hi there,

Here are the facts, I need help deciding what to do please!

We are in Canada and We have a 2011 ford explorer.
Have a 41.5", 34lb, 3 yr old who will be 4 in January boy in a britax boulevard manufactured in September 2009.
Have a 10 month old, 28" boy in a infant carrier, needs to move....

Do I get another boulevard or move my almost 4yr old who is tall to a frontier etc?

What is the lifespan on the convertibles? Would it be safe to put the baby in that one for at least the next few years? Is the frontier as safe as the boulevard to have my almost 4 yr old in? I see he meets all requirements of it, just unsure which route I should take... Also what is the difference on the xt vs the sict?

Any advice or recommendation would be great! Thanks!

ADS

tam_shops

I assume you mean you are going to harness the 3yo in the Frontier, right? Is he rear facing or forward facing now in his current seat?

If he's already forward facing in the Boulevard, there is no known (that I know of) safety difference for a child forward facing in Boulevard vs forward facing in a Frontier.

If you are talking about a child rear facing in a Boulevard vs forward facing in a Frontier, then the child is safer rear facing in the Boulevard.

There is a time when the significance in safety decreases as a child ages. I (personally) don't know exactly when that happens. It is preferred that children rear face until 4yo. I am personally debating a forward facing only vs rear facing seat for my own (37# long torso) 3.5yo, it's a hard decision that you have to decide for yourself...

tam

canadiangie

Oh that's an easy one. :)

Since you're considering a Frontier, I'll assume your 3 year old is forward facing. If that is correct, then a Frontier makes perfect sense for him. Pass the Boulevard to the baby.

As for XT versus SICT, either is safe and both are great options. SICT is enormous, whereas XT is just huge. ;) Britax says their SICT technology provides even further enhanced protection... but it is impossible for any of us to back up or dispute those claims.

My vote is to purchase whichever you prefer and then install and use your seats correctly. If you can succeed at that task, your children will be very well protected in a collision.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Based on the older child's weight and the age of the Boulevard, I'm assuming kiddo is ff'ing given that the Boulevard's in that time period only went to 30lbs rf'ing.

I think Angie hit the nail on the head. I'd pass blvd to the baby provided it's still in good condition, and buy a Frontier for the older child.

The only other thing I'd consider is that the Boulevard will only have a 30lb rf'ing weight limit on it and that may put you in a position of still needing to buy another seat for the baby to be able to rf longer in depending on how heavy he is right now. If he's a tall and slender babe then he'll probably make it rf'ing in the Boulevard a good long time, but if he's on the chubbier side, then you may be better off buying a seat with a higher rf'ing weight limit and keeping your 3.5yr old in the Boulevard until he either outgrows it or until you need to replace it with a newer seat.

Carolinadaisy

We moved our son to a frontier 85 almost a year ago at 3.5. The leg support was so much better for him than that of the boulevard ff. Our boulevard has a 2008 manufacture date with a 35lb rf weight limit. Our younger son was 9 months when he moved into it. He loves it and for now it fits him great. He may not fit rf past 2.5, but it all depends on growth rate which just cannot be predicted.

So my suggestion is to pass the boulevard down to baby and buy a frontier. The boulevard has a 6 yr expiration date, I believe. Check your manual and the date on side if your seat for certain.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Carolinadaisy said:
We moved our son to a frontier 85 almost a year ago at 3.5. The leg support was so much better for him than that of the boulevard ff. Our boulevard has a 2008 manufacture date with a 35lb rf weight limit. Our younger son was 9 months when he moved into it. He loves it and for now it fits him great. He may not fit rf past 2.5, but it all depends on growth rate which just cannot be predicted.

So my suggestion is to pass the boulevard down to baby and buy a frontier. The boulevard has a 6 yr expiration date, I believe. Check your manual and the date on side if your seat for certain.

In Canada it only went to 30lbs rf'ing at that time. The advocate went to 35, but the rest of the seats stayed at 30lbs until the 40lb rf'ing seats came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC