Question What booster is slim?

Pepse

Baby ds will be outgrowing his bucket soon and we want to try to get a three across in dhs civic.

We need a booster for this (it is rare dh takes all three alone) and occasional use play dates

She rides in. Frontier as her main seat

She is 5, 45lbs

ADS

Pepse

We have a radian, a original boulevard and a few frontiers

Dd age 5, 45lb, harness in Frontier

Ydd age 2.5 27lbs still rfing in main car but might have to ff in civic

Baby is 5 months

I am not opposed to buying another Radian to make it work

canadiangie

Well, your absolute ideal would be three Radians:

rf / ff / rf.

You would need Angle Adjusters for the rf ones.

From there, things get .. cozy.

I've done a rf RN, ff RN, ff MR65. The MR65 overlaps the middle RN a bit.

You might be able to replace the MR65 with a ff BV.

I don't think you could even get a Harmony backless next to a ff RN middle because the side bolsters of your vehicle seat are so rigid -- I don't think a Harmony would sit flush against the seatback.

You might be able to puzzle a rf RN, ff BV, Harmony. The Harmony would puzzle under the 'hips' of the BV.

It really comes down to puzzling.

I tried CA, RN, TF, Air Protect (ie Scenera), SS1, MR65, Harmony harnessed seat, various configs of each.

Not an easy 3 across by any means.

amyd

I don't need angle adjusters for Radians in my 2004 Civic. They install decently upright outboard and there's no airbag sensors in the front seats so no worries about touching.

canadiangie

I don't need angle adjusters for Radians in my 2004 Civic. They install decently upright outboard and there's no airbag sensors in the front seats so no worries about touching.

I have to admit that when there are no sensors and it's second gen or even first gen airbags I'm dealing with, I try to get the front seat(s) as far back as possible. The Civic I dealt with in the above situation was an 01. Having an AA in the mix bought them an extra 3-4 inches of space, I think. The front pass seat was fine without the AA, but so much better for mom once it was in. Dad is 6'2", so he really appreciated the extra bit of space. But like you said, it can work without...

amyd

Oh yeah, absolutely use them if the front seats are too close. I'm 5'10" all legs (34" inseam) and I can have my seat back as far as I need without the adjuster. Any further back and I can't push the clutch all the way in. I can't get over the amount of front to back space our Civic has. Side to side space is another matter completely :rolleyes::

canadiangie

The baby in the mix is 5 months; I thought I read 15 mos, that changes things re the AA. Though apparently Diono Canada is revising the 12 month min for the AA..

amyd

canadiangie said:
The baby in the mix is 5 months; I thought I read 15 mos, that changes things re the AA. Though apparently Diono Canada is revising the 12 month min for the AA..

Did you read that on Facebook?:p

canadiangie

Did you read that on Facebook?:p

I feel like it was posted here, that it was from one of those Q&A things manufacturers do these days on FB. Like here come talk to our rep between such and such time... and then someone posted it word for word here. Something about going by child's ability to.. sit, maybe?

Who knows... but it sure would be nice, tbh. I have to tell so many families that their baby is too young to use an AA, but that a rf Radian may take up too much front to back space. Lots just skip all the try-before-you-buy stuff and grab a Britax..

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The wording on the packaging is this:

Do not use with child who is less than 1 year old and/or does not have complete head control.

The and/or seems pretty clear to me that it can be used with a less-than-one year old provided they have good head control. It would also largely depend (of course) on how reclined the seat is to start with and whether the angle adjuster would even put it into 'too upright' range.

The angle adjuster itself does say 1 year and doesn't mention the head control issue.

smackeen

I posted that it was changing (down in tech as it is not official). Nothing official yet, but wondered if you called they would tell you the difference.

Now if I ever get the new AA that was supposed to be sent to me, I can tell you what is on the package.

amyd

canadiangie said:
I feel like it was posted here, that it was from one of those Q&A things manufacturers do these days on FB. Like here come talk to our rep between such and such time... and then someone posted it word for word here. Something about going by child's ability to.. sit, maybe?

Who knows... but it sure would be nice, tbh. I have to tell so many families that their baby is too young to use an AA, but that a rf Radian may take up too much front to back space. Lots just skip all the try-before-you-buy stuff and grab a Britax..

Yeah, I think you are right. I have an awful time knowing/remembering when/if things like that apply to Canada as well. And I HATE trying to explain to parents stuff like "well, this is what the manual says, but the rep said on FB....". Like that sounds credible. I just wish they'd put something on paper and stick with it. I hate retroactive stuff. Okay, vent over...I feel better now. LOL

And OP, if I get ambitious tonight, I'm going to try 2 Radians and a booster in hubby's Civic. Will let you know how I get along with that.

mdsvc89

The biggest challenge with a booster will be buckling next to another seat. (Oh how I wish one of the outboard positions had a belt that started inside the car and buckled on the outside! Imagine the possibilities!)

I can't remember if it's available in Canada, but I'm really loving my bubble bum for 3-across. Ours is in a prius between 2 Evenflo Big Kid amps, and our almost 8 year old passenger is able to buckle it himself. My 5.5 year old has ridden in it, and it worked for him size-wise.

Michelle

farrbabies

I have a 2005 civic. I can get a maestro, myride, big kid. And the best part is my outboard seats do not tilt in. The back if the evenflo big kid is rounded enough to fit into the fold of the side bolsters. And the buckle for the booster is not as hard as I thought to buckle because the arm rests pivot up. I'm getting used to it.

But I've also done radians (not diono because it's too wide) RF, FF, RF. Two RF with wedge was more tilted then without. Also same seats FF, RF wedge, FF. Had to turn the buckle stalks twice. I also tried a my ride RF, radian RF, Literider.

. I am not a tech. :). I'm in denial I need a new car but this is our secondary car.

My ideal was the my ride RF centre but the cupholders are too wide for any FF seat other than literider. And my 4.5 yo is definitely not riding in any booster any time soon.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC