Storing a carseat??

J'sMamaCC

Just curious if there are any right/wrong ways to store a carseat?
(For an extended period- at least a year or two, possibly 3)
The reason I ask is becuase DS outgrew his Chaperone. But since it was brand new when we had him last year, we want to save it for potential future sibiling we're trying to have, since it will (fingers crossed) be used again before it expires :)
I just wouldn't want to store it incorrectly & have it be useless. Thanks!!

ADS

scariestone

Anywhere it won't get damp/wet or be in direct sunlight is fine. Dampness can cause mold obviously. Some people put them in a garbage bag, I've never bothered. If you're storing someplace dust will be an issue it would save you some cleaning to do so. ;)

amyd

I'd wash the cover and make sure it's totally totally dry before you put it back on. I'd want it covered but in something breathable (cardboard box, covered with a sheet, etc). And I'd try to store it somewhere sort of climate controlled, not a garage, attic, damp basement, etc. A spare room closet maybe?

NannyMom

I would also remove the harness. You can't throw a harness in the wash, so there still may be "stuff" on it that could cause molding. It's much cheaper to replace the harness alone than the entire seat. I'd put the harness in a sealed Ziploc and keep it with the seat. If it does mold, it won't get on the seat and can easily be replaced.

stephpook

If you do store it in a bag, be absolutely sure it's completely dry before you do so. I ruined one of my Radian's by putting it in my basement in a garbage bag before it was completely dry.

aeormsby

I agree with the PP who mentioned a box or covered with a sheet for storage. I wouldn't put it in anything airtight if possible.

If you don't have the original box maybe it will fit in the box from the convertible?

I guess I don't worry too much about extreme temperatures, it doesn't get much more extreme than sitting in a vehicle outdoors 24/7 all year long.

Keeanh

Yeah, I don't worry about temperatures. Just somewhere that it won't get wet, kids won't play with it & break off pieces of foam or cut the harness, pets won't sleep on it, mice won't nest in it, etc. And agree on the airtight bag being a no-no. I'd rather have storage dust than mold/mildew. I wouldn't bother washing the cover first, unless it had food or something gross on it. Taking the harness out is a good idea. I've never thought of it. I would put it in a grocery bag or something else non-airtight and tie it to the seat so it didn't get lost.

I have a rarely-used 15p van that makes a great car seat storage locker ;). Before that, I kept them on top of a shelving unit in the laundry room, or in the storage area under our stairs (both are above ground and away from exterior foundation walls). I would be fine with an attic as long as you don't have mice etc. getting in there. It wouldn't be hotter than a closed vehicle.

tam_shops

I *love* the idea of storing the harness in a ziplock bag!

I would wash the cover before storing it though b/c stains show up over time and mold needs both moisture and sugar to grow, so remove the sugar (from vomit) and even if some moisture gets it, you're better off. I'd dry it for at least 2 weeks! LOL

Once it's food free and dry I'm torn between a response about plastic cover or not. They come from the factory in a box in a bag (not usually sealed), but sealing it (once used) increases the chance it may grow mold (under right conditions).

And, when we store fine fabrics (ie your wedding dress) for storage, even the longer term ones for the museum the recommendation is to wrap it in acid free tissue paper and put it in an air tight container.

tam

Danielle0407

CPS Technician
I usually store spare seats in my kids closets. Make sure it's not in a garage, mice attacked my radian cover while it was in there for a few weeks.

scariestone

Just to be clear, I didn't say no direct sunlight because of extreme temps, it was for vanity reasons. So the pretty cover doesn't fade. ;)

momtoo3

I'm gonna jump in and ask a question real quick. Sorry!
So putting a seat up in the attic in the original box would be okay? It gets really hot in ours in the summer, like to the point that you can't stand up there for more than 30 seconds without being covered in sweat, and cold in the winter. I had been under the assumption that the extreme temps were not so good.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
momtoo3 said:
I'm gonna jump in and ask a question real quick. Sorry!
So putting a seat up in the attic in the original box would be okay? It gets really hot in ours in the summer, like to the point that you can't stand up there for more than 30 seconds without being covered in sweat, and cold in the winter. I had been under the assumption that the extreme temps were not so good.

Cars experience extreme temperatures all the time, but we leave car seats in those. ;)

momtoo3

Cars experience extreme temperatures all the time, but we leave car seats in those. ;)

Thank you! My brain has not been functioning well since the boys went back to school. I should have thought of that. Dh will be really happy to get the spare seats out of the garage. I keep all the boxes up in the attic. He often jokes that with all the car seat boxes I save, if there was ever a fire the boxes would keep it going forever :rolleyes:. Now I can say I kept them for a reason.

J'sMamaCC

THANKS everyone for the great tips & advice!

(So the used convertible seat that my DH got, that has ANTS living in it (along with the wierd musty smell) was more than likely improperly stored?! :D Another great reason to dump it! I really am sad I missed that trade-in at BRU. Maybe I can "accidently" cut the harness straps?!? I do NOT want my DS riding in a used seat, where we don't 100% know the history)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC