Question Small car/rear facing car seat

Mommavieve

I have a tiny car and a tiny car seat budget. I have a 2008 Scion xD. My daughter is 11 months old. I'm not sure what her height is, but she's close to 20lbs, so she'll be over the weight limit for her infant seat soon. I'd like to rear face her past a year, but I'm not sure what will fit in my car. She has to be on the passenger side because my car isn't rated to have a seat in the middle (I double checked the owner's manual) and I have to spend less than $100. I've been looking at the Safety 1st Guide 65, but none of my local stores have it so I can see its size. Help!:confused:

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
How tall are you? If you aren't really tall, the Evenflo Momentum will fit. The Guide should work, with pool noodles or a rooled towel.

Brianna

Click on my picture to go to my profile, I have an album with pics from a 2009 xD. The Evenflo Triumph fit fine in the middle installed with the seat belt. I'm 5'2" and drive with the seat back farther than my 5'3' mom.

As Judi said, the Momentum and Guide 65 will both fit.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think you are reading the section of the car manual that tells you which seating positions allow use of the lower anchors for installing a carseat. Seatbelt installs are fine in the center of a scion.

Mommavieve

It looks like you're right, but I still need it to go behind the passenger because my son sits behind me on the driver's side. I don't have passengers frequently, but when the whole family (including my husband) goes anywhere, we take my car because of the gas mileage. So I need to be able to sit fairly comfortably in the passenger seat.

I think you are reading the section of the car manual that tells you which seating positions allow use of the lower anchors for installing a carseat. Seatbelt installs are fine in the center of a scion.

safeinthecar

It looks like you're right, but I still need it to go behind the passenger because my son sits behind me on the driver's side. I don't have passengers frequently, but when the whole family (including my husband) goes anywhere, we take my car because of the gas mileage. So I need to be able to sit fairly comfortably in the passenger seat.

What does your son ride in? we might be able to help you find a way to get the two kids side by side.

safeinthecar

He's in a Safety 1st All-in-One. I like that seat, but it's a little big. He's FF, but I didn't know about ERF until recently and he's already over the RF limit of his seat.

Actually, this may be a good thing. I'm betting that he is really close to outgrowing the All in One harness anyway (avoid using this seat as a booster as it has very poor seat belt routing in booster mode). Is the FFing weight limit for the harness 40# or 50#? The 40# one you can take the base off, and it is the base that is really wide. Without the base, the seat is pretty narrow actually and takes up very little room front to back.

So, I'd fip the Ai1 rfing for the baby and put it in the middle and find a new seat for DS instead. How much does DS weigh and what is his seated height from butt to shoulders?

Mommavieve

Where would I find the weight limit on his seat? My mother-in-law bought it for us two years ago and the manual has since been lost. I'll measure my DS tonight or tomorrow.
safeinthecar said:
Actually, this may be a good thing. I'm betting that he is really close to outgrowing the All in One harness anyway (avoid using this seat as a booster as it has very poor seat belt routing in booster mode). Is the FFing weight limit for the harness 40# or 50#? The 40# one you can take the base off, and it is the base that is really wide. Without the base, the seat is pretty narrow actually and takes up very little room front to back.

So, I'd fip the Ai1 rfing for the baby and put it in the middle and find a new seat for DS instead. How much does DS weigh and what is his seated height from butt to shoulders?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC