New versatile carseat for foster mom needed

Lesajo

I used to be an avid reader/poster, so you may have seen my posts before - as in 8 or so years ago. I'm still a foster mom. I actually just had to get rid of all my convertible seats due to expiration. I am a Britax fan - roundabout, marathon and still have the booster. I am supposed to get a 2 year old in the next month while her mom has a baby. I had one 2 year old last year for same reason. I purchased an Evenflo Triumph for agency, to make middle of night installs for unknown size child as easy as possible. But that beast is heavy! These women are all in their 60's, and have to carry it from office to car. Because I borrowed their seat (Triumph) and came home with child, I carried seat and child into my house all in one - she had cried for 45 minutes, so I didn't want to wake her. I slept right beside her. Anyway, is there something else with sliding harness adjuster that's lighter? I am so interested in the Coccoro. What do you think?

Lesa

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Not really, unfortunately. There are several seats with a no-rethread harness, but none are particularly lightweight.

The First Years True Fit is easy to install, fits the average kid from birth - around 5 and has a norethread harness. About as heavy/bulky as the Triumph though.

The Coccoro is great from a lightweight standpoint, it's not a no re-thread harness though, and the average kid outgrows it rear facing around 2.5-3, so it's a bit bigger investment for a smaller age group of kids.

The Safety 1st Guide 65 may be a good option, it's $78, has a no rethread harness, fits babies up to age 4-5, it's lightweight, but it does usually need a pool noodle to install.

Just checking - is your Britax booster within its 6 year life span as well? They expire just like the harnessed seats. Good for you for giving a loving home to so many kiddos over the years you've been doing this - the world needs more good foster mommas. Those of you that have the heart to do it are awfully special people. :love:

Dmcj13

Not really, unfortunately. There are several seats with a no-rethread harness, but none are particularly lightweight.

The First Years True Fit is easy to install, fits the average kid from birth - around 5 and has a norethread harness. About as heavy/bulky as the Triumph though.

The Coccoro is great from a lightweight standpoint, it's not a no re-thread harness though, and the average kid outgrows it rear facing around 2.5-3, so it's a bit bigger investment for a smaller age group of kids.

The Safety 1st Guide 65 may be a good option, it's $78, has a no rethread harness, fits babies up to age 4-5, it's lightweight, but it does usually need a pool noodle to install.

Just checking - is your Britax booster within its 6 year life span as well? They expire just like the harnessed seats. Good for you for giving a loving home to so many kiddos over the years you've been doing this - the world needs more good foster mommas. Those of you that have the heart to do it are awfully special people. :love:
The Guide 65 is not no rethread

jjordan

I don't know what sort of price range you're looking at, but since you're a Britax fan, it may interest you to know that the "new" marathons (Marathon 70, it's been out for about 2 years) has a no-rethread harness.

jjordan said:
I don't know what sort of price range you're looking at, but since you're a Britax fan, it may interest you to know that the "new" marathons (Marathon 70, it's been out for about 2 years) has a no-rethread harness.

:yeahthat: and they're easy to install relatively quickly. While not what I'd call "light weight", I can't think of any convertibles aside from the Cosco Scenera and Apt that are actually "light" by common standards, but these usually require some effort to get correct angles RF, correct? For quick installs, I go for my Britaxes over my TrueFit just for the easy install factor.

Lesajo

I will probably solicit donations as I usually do. I'm not rich, but I want to help the staff have the best that is available. I borrowed a Regent - it's a bear, and nothing I would want to keep. A little more info. - I'm setting this up for myself to get a 2 year old while mom has a baby. 90% of their use is for infants upon hospital discharge, but they're doing more placements at the hospital, so that is not often - maybe a few times a year. the other 10% is for this kind of situation - they do transport moms to doctor appointments because mom doesn't have a car, so probably not a seat either. These other children are toddlers. Last year I bought them a Chicco for infant travel. Because we're all getting older, and they keep the toddler seat in the office, I'd like to make getting the seat to the car, installing it, and then buckling child as easy as possible. When you only do it 12 or so times a year, it's not easy to remember how to do everything. When I picked up a toddler a few months ago in the middle of the night, wouldn't you know my carseat was in my van and I told my son he could take my van if he got a fire call during the night - wouldn't you know he was gone at a fire when I got the call to pick up the toddler? So the social worker came with the Triumph. Here we are in the middle of the night, in a hospital parking lot, installing a seat with a crying child. Please help me make this as easy as possible with your advice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC