Question about rear tether anchors (re: 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan)

C

copelscope

Hi everyone :) We drive a 2008 Odyssey, but my mother-in-law had an accident in it this week with my 8 year old (thankfully no injuries, I credit my 8 year old's safety to our refusal to allow her to ride directly on the seat despite the age minimum being met in IL -- she is still a few inches short of the NTSB recommendation and the belt does not cross correctly when she is not boostered due to her disproportionately long legs-- but a pretty major collision that has left our van possibly totaled--still waiting to hear from the adjuster on that one). The rental we were given is a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan (Crew, if that matters).

My dilemma (this will be long, sorry :) ):
We have 4 children, all in Britax Frontier 85 seats (that were all replaced the day of the accident-- only 1 had a restrained child, but the airbag system deployed, so we opted to play it safe and replace all 4 seats-- insurance will reimburse for the 1 in use)-- ages 2.5-8.5 (the 8yo has outgrown harnessing, but hers is the only one in booster mode).

In our Odyssey, we had all seats tethered (2nd row LATCH installed, 3rd row belt path/tether because the LATCH is only in the center, but tethers in all positions-- of course booster just tethered). My understanding is that the booster mode seat absolutely has to be tethered with her weight (about 66lbs), and the other 3rd row is my 6 year old (harnessed), and he is about 55lbs, so I prefer that he is tethered as well. The 2.5 and 4.5 year olds ride in the 2nd row, because neither is proficient in buckling and unbuckling consistently without help (the 2 year old obviously can't at all lol, and the 4 year old has difficulty depressing the crotch strap button).

The rental Dodge only has a tether in the 3rd row-- my understanding is that 2 seats should not be tethered to the same anchor point, and this one is in the center (leaving us no space on either side to install another Frontier 85 with the belt path next to it-- I may be wrong, but I feel like due to the weight of the seat, the booster mode F85 should have that tether if a choice has to be made). My daughter does not fit in the low or high back boosters from other manufacturers (they are too narrow-- she has a skinny frame, but her hip span prevents a comfortable fit) that do not need to be tethered, and the 85 in the center position obscures all the buckle access for both outboard positons anyway.

We have the rental company looking for an alternative vehicle in the area for us, but they have had no luck so far and we need to be able to drive our kids in one vehicle sooner than later (specifically by 4pm today for Taekwondo, as well as all weekend activities).

We will have the rental for at least 3 weeks, so I would love to find a safe alternative installation (that does not involve our 8 year old riding without a booster)-- otherwise I'm afraid we will be mostly housebound until our van is repaired or we replace it (if it is declared a total loss) unless both my husband and myself are able to drive separate cars everywhere (which isn't realistic during the week).

I have left a message for the local police department's certified technician yesterday morning, but did not receive a call back.

If you made it through all this and have any words of wisdom, thank you :)

ADS

canadiangie

Your 8.5 yo would go in her Frontier, in booster mode, in the 3rd row passenger side where there is no tether anchor. Your other children who are riding in the 5 point harness of their Frontiers would go in the remaing 3 seating positions that offer tether anchors. (3rd row driver/middle, and 2nd row captains chairs).

It is extremely important that your forward facing harnessed children's seats be top tethered. Top tethering a booster seat is entirely optional in your case, and you would not opt to tether her booster instead of one of your harnessed seats.

You will notice the tether anchor in the 3rd row of the GrCar is off centre towards the middle. If I recall correctly, you can install a seat in the middle OR on the drivers side and make use of the tether anchor. In your case you're going to install on the driver's side, using the seatbelt, and then tether it.

Hope that helps. You do not need a different rental vehicle at all.

Edited to add: please note the LATCH weight limit for Chrysler is 48lbs and the LATCH limit for Honda is 40lbs. After your children exceed those weights you need to use the seatbelt to install their harnessed seats. You may continue to top tether their harnessed seats until your children are no longer using the 5 point harness of their seats, though admittedly top tethering past the upper weight limits is controversial depending on who you speak to. You will find that a high number of techs, senior techs, and people who really know their stuff ;) advocate top tethering if the seat is forward facing and in harnessed mode.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC