Harness limit height wise?

Nimommyof2

Okay with a seat FF how comfortable are people with pushing the limits of the seat possibly be outgrowing height wise? How do you gouge if they've outgrown it eyeball it? I think I've seen some with the ruler sticking our what if it goes up a little bit would you stop using the seat? What happens if they are a bit to tall?

Basically I am asking cause occasionally with all the seats installed in my van(2010 honda Odyssey 5 carseats 1 booster) I'll have three booster riders so its easy to uninstall the generations on the passenger side but than to fit the third booster I either have to uninstall the radian RF on the plus one(which is a giant pain to reinstall) or the nautilas in the third row which is gaint seat so not easy to get out or back in. The three booster riders are borderline being out of the nautilas heightwise one of them uses it once a week for about a 15min drive.(and yes the three or the are quite close in size ones a bit shorter but after looking at her today in the nautilas I think her torso height is the same) weight wise the biggest maybe weighs 55lbs.

I wasn't quite sure if this falls under carseat chat or needs to be listed back up under Canadian? Sorry if I put it in the wrong place

Last edited:
ADS

Brianna

If I really wanted to squeeze the last bit of harness height I would be re-installing the GN trying all 3 reclines to see what gives the most room left, and I would be shoving the base back into the vehicle seat as much as possible to see if that helped too. If I put a ruler in the top slot and it pointed up I wouldn't using it anymore.

Nimommyof2

I thought there was just two reclines? Well I'll check that out I think its as upright as possible, its back against the seat tight. More upright should give more room you think? I'll play with the kids a bit more and see what I think I was eyeballing from above too so that made it hard I jump in the trunk to buckle the two RFs and the nautilas if the 4yr olds in there.

Nimommyof2

Another question what about too high? If I leave the nautilas and put the kid from the generations in that(so taking out plus 1 radian to put booster there) if the girl is just below the second to highest setting and the harness is at the highest setting is that okay?

Brianna

Sometimes it's fine, other times it's not. Pictures usually help.

It seems like it would be easier to re-install the Nautilus than the Radian though.

scariestone

Another question what about too high? If I leave the nautilas and put the kid from the generations in that(so taking out plus 1 radian to put booster there) if the girl is just below the second to highest setting and the harness is at the highest setting is that okay?

Yes, that's fine. It used to be seats only had one harness height reinforced for FF so kids would sometimes have straps coming out next to their ears.

tiggercat

Are you specifically talking about what happens if the shoulders are above the top harness slot? If so, the risk that I am aware of is that it can increase head excursion, and potentially cause spinal compression. I have no idea how much the straps would have to be below to cause that, but I wouldn't risk it. Once the strap is curving slightly down to the harness slot (so wrapping around the shoulder), they are too tall.

I think moving the smaller kid to the Nauti so you can take out the generations is a much safer idea. There is no risk in having the straps a bit high, though it might not be the most comfortable.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Nimommyof2

Are you specifically talking about what happens if the shoulders are above the top harness slot? If so, the risk that I am aware of is that it can increase head excursion, and potentially cause spinal compression. I have no idea how much the straps would have to be below to cause that, but I wouldn't risk it. Once the strap is curving slightly down to the harness slot (so wrapping around the shoulder), they are too tall.

I think moving the smaller kid to the Nauti so you can take out the generations is a much safer idea. There is no risk in having the straps a bit high, though it might not be the most comfortable.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

I have to take the generations out irregardless it the fact I have to take the radian or nauti out that is driving me nuts but of course I don't want to take risks so I'll check the three booster riders in the nauti and if I have to I guess I'll take the radian out of the plus one. The girl in the generations can still go RF if I need her to so that was what I did a couple times but thought the kids were getting close to maxing out the nauti

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC