3 across with big 3 year old. 2 MA and Radian OR 2 Radians and Frontier 85???

#1babysitter

I'm a nanny for a 1 year old and 3 year old. Currently the 1 year old is in a RF Britax Marathon and the 3 year old is in a FF Britax Frontier 85. I'm adding another child to the mix as I will be starting a nanny share. Thing is I don't have a family set in stone yet. I've talked to a couple but have not fully decided yet. I want to figure out my car seat situation now so if the other child is thrown into the mix say in 2 days I won't be scrambling to get new seats.

I have 2 Marathons and a Frontier 85. The new child will be a toddler under 2 years old. I was just going to get a Radian RXT and put it FF in the center for the 3 year old and the Marathons both RF outboard for the 1 year old and new child. But now I'm thinking I should get 2 Radians and put them RF outboard for the toddlers and the Frontier 85 for the 3 year old in the middle. Would that work?? Would either of these 3 across scenarios work?? The problem with just getting 1 Radian for the 3 year old is that she is already on the top slots. She still has about 1"-1.5" of growing room but she's also heavy so I'm afraid she will outgrow the Radian in a year and then I will have to put her in a booster. She's already 45 pounds. I got the Frontier 85 to harness her as long as possible. Help!!

ADS

brittney

I would recommend getting a Diono, the seat is so slim it'll be easy with the other 2 combo . I have a Diono and peg Perego infant seat base on a mini van bench for 2 and there's ton of room inbetween , both seats are RF. I find that the Britax seats are so wide that atleast having a Diono in the mix would help for room. Diono also has a very easy installation. diono radian rxt*

#1babysitter

I would recommend getting a Diono, the seat is so slim it'll be easy with the other 2 combo . I have a Diono and peg Perego infant seat base on a mini van bench for 2 and there's ton of room inbetween , both seats are RF. I find that the Britax seats are so wide that atleast having a Diono in the mix would help for room. Diono also has a very easy installation. diono radian rxt*

Yeah I was planning on getting 2 Diono RXT's and putting them outboard and a Frontier 85 in the middle. Do you think that would work?? The other child I will be watching is 3.5 and so I think it would be good to have her in a RXT instead of a Marathon. Think she will outgrow the Marathon quicker.

julia94115

I drive a 2007 CR-V and have Frontier 85 (pass) SK RadianXT (center) and RA55 RF.

The Frontier is a beast and in the center I pretty much couldn't see a thing out my rearview mirror. But DD is I believe at the top height. Works better for us behind passenger. Not sure how much bigger your back seat is than our CR-V though.

#1babysitter

I drive a 2007 CR-V and have Frontier 85 (pass) SK RadianXT (center) and RA55 RF.

The Frontier is a beast and in the center I pretty much couldn't see a thing out my rearview mirror. But DD is I believe at the top height. Works better for us behind passenger. Not sure how much bigger your back seat is than our CR-V though.

Not sure how our back seats compare but I think yours is bigger. I know I cannot fit a RF Marathon, RF Radian, FF Frontier. Tried it. I was thinking of the Frontier in the middle because most likely both Radians will be rear facing. I don't think I will be able to see over the Radian and out my back window if one was in the center. And it would be easiest for a child who can climb into the car themself to have their seat in the center. But I will see what work. Thanks for the tip!

Where do you buy the D ring to top tether a RF Radian??

julia94115

Not sure how our back seats compare but I think yours is bigger. I know I cannot fit a RF Marathon, RF Radian, FF Frontier. Tried it. I was thinking of the Frontier in the middle because most likely both Radians will be rear facing. I don't think I will be able to see over the Radian and out my back window if one was in the center. And it would be easiest for a child who can climb into the car themself to have their seat in the center. But I will see what work. Thanks for the tip!

Where do you buy the D ring to top tether a RF Radian??

Our radian is FF in the center so not sure about the D ring.

Man- I sweated over the three across I have now. I seriously thought I was going to lose my mind. DD, is so tall, I hated having to buy the FR85 just so I could fit three across. She had outgrown our OS Frontier and buckling a booster was a total PITA for all involved.

Hopefully you'll find a good fit for you car!!

#1babysitter

Our radian is FF in the center so not sure about the D ring.

Man- I sweated over the three across I have now. I seriously thought I was going to lose my mind. DD, is so tall, I hated having to buy the FR85 just so I could fit three across. She had outgrown our OS Frontier and buckling a booster was a total PITA for all involved.

Hopefully you'll find a good fit for you car!!

Ah okay!

I am starting to feel that way. My center seat is so small I'm thinking the Frontier is going to go over into the outboard seats to much that there won't be enough room for the Radians ugh! Same here! I bought the Frontier 85 because the 3 year old is super tall and heavy and is already on the top slots of a Radian so if the Frontier doesn't work and she has to ride in a Radian she will be in a booster in a year if that! :eek:

Thanks!

brittney

#1babysitter said:
Yeah I was planning on getting 2 Diono RXT's and putting them outboard and a Frontier 85 in the middle. Do you think that would work?? The other child I will be watching is 3.5 and so I think it would be good to have her in a RXT instead of a Marathon. Think she will outgrow the Marathon quicker.

I definitely think that would work and would also be the best bet. I nanny as well and I know how sometimes you can switch kids within a year and a diono is easy to accommodate a lot of children with different ages,weight and heights- excellent seat all around and the fact that it's not wide is the best. Honestly- who really wants a crammed back seat anyway. I highly recommend it! I find the Diono super easy to install aswell.
Good luck!!

Cryssy Jane

Not sure the dimensions of your car (I'll look it up later when I have time) but I can do 2 rf radians outboard and a fr85 center all seatbelt installs in my little 2006 Subaru impreza sedan.

Here's a picture of the nautilus center. I'll have to go through my pictures to find the fr85 center

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I've had a Nautilus/RF Radian/RF Complete Air in my Jeep at one time. Not sure how helpful it is though. You might really need a Radian to make it work.

I feel like the MyRide might puzzle well with a FR85 and MA.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC