Odyssey/Sienna- years/mileage recommendations?

erinmi

Hi, I don't post much here but I read a lot :)

We currently have a 2003 Mazda MPV but are considering replacing it in the next 6 months or so. I like the Mazda5 but fear that there will not be enough room overall, so I am considering the Odyssey or Sienna. Our budget doesn't allow for new because we would like to stay around $20,000 or less. I would like it to last for as long as possible, which had been our intention with the MPV since I only drive about 10,000 miles/yr, except when we take a long trip but transmission issues plus terrible rust problems are having us considering a replacement.

Are there model years for either van that seem to have more issues? Or a mileage you would not go over for it to last, say, 10 years?

We don't really need an 8 passenger as we only have 2 kiddos (ages 7 1/2 and 2 months), possibly one more down the road but not sure. The only thing I really like having are the power sliding doors.

Thanks!

ADS

Mags462

For 20K or less you can easily get a 2005-2010 Sienna or a 2005-2010 Oddy..... both are good vans with no "known" issues as it were. Solid vans. There are many threads discussing the virtues of both - just search "sienna" and it will pull a bunch up. But mechanically speaking both of those vans are very well made.

Beyond the mechanics it will just end up being what you prefer - some like the way the Honda drives, some prefer the Toyota. So drive both, see which one you like and then have the patience to find a killer deal on one. Because they both updated their body styles with major changes in 2011, the older models are better priced (although still pricey compared to say a sedan).....

As for my personal preference - i have a 2005 Sienna XLE 7 seater. It has all the bells and whistles sans leather and a sun roof. Oh i do so love my van - i bought it with 70kish miles on it and it has about 105k now on it. Doing awesome. I intend to drive it for at least 5 more years. I test drove both the Sienna and Oddy and prefer the handling of the Sienna. It's more "smooth" and "car-like"..... which i like. Others dislike that. So see what YOU like. As far as "extra" features i honestly could do without all the "fancy" stuff.... except that passenger side power door - i must have that lol :p Oh sure the DVD system is nice - but i have a rule that we don't turn it on unless the trip is longer than 1hr away so it gets turned on like 2 times per year.... i use the power drivers side door like maybe once per week, and the rear hatch being automatic i haven't found much use for. But that's just me. Lots of people may like it. I do appreciate my nice speakers b/c we like our music, but i think the next time i get a Sienna I will just get an LE and call it good ;)

thepote

We have a 2005 Ody with about 110,000 miles on it that we leased new and then bought when it came off lease. I would buy the same vehicle again in a heartbeat. No major problems (knock on wood), just wear and tear stuff like brakes, tires, and door sliders replaced.

2005 was the year when the Ody had only one off-center top tether anchor in the third row and no factory options (other than aftermarket) to add the other two. The two 2nd row captains chairs have full latch sets. All other years are unaffected :rolleyes:

$15 to $20K should get you something nice in the 2005-2010 range. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC