Question What's worse, front or rear end crash?

mlohry

Driving in traffic yesterday I thought about this. I try to keep a safe distance from the car in front of me in traffic, but the person behind me isn't always so accommodating. Got me thinking, what's worse me to hit someone or someone to hit me? I'm guessing someone to hit me is better, but how about for me kids in the back seat or 3rd row?

ADS

Brianna

From a liability standpoint, it's better for somebody to hit you. From a safety standpoint- you don't have any control over how fast the person behind you will be going if/when they hit you, so it's impossible for me to say.

Just the other day I narrowly avoided a collision- I could only see the person in front of me and not the rest of traffic. Jerk in front of me wasn't paying attention and slammed on his brakes to a complete stop and thank goodness I had a good following distance- but the person behind me didn't. I ended up swerving off onto the shoulder, it was my only chance of not hitting the person in front of me and not being rear ended. The car behind me almost hit the car in front of me so I would have been sandwiched. I'm just very glad there was a shoulder.

There are so many variables that it would be impossible to say. Speed of impact and the energy released on your car, and at which locations, would leave a million possibilities. Also, from a physics standpoint, I would think cases like getting hit from behind with a car full of forward-facers would likely lead to less neck injuries than a frontal collision at the same speed with forward-facers. *Please correct me if I'm wrong*

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, it really depends on so much. Plus just because you have one type doesn't mean you won't have the other, too. (Hit from behind that pushes you into car in front. Or hit car in front and car behind still hits you.)

The best thing is to avoid the situation all together. I always try to keep a safe distance from the car in front of me. If I have someone following me too closely, I change lanes or increase my distance even more from the car in front of me. The more time *I* have to react, the more time it gives the bozo behind me, too.

LISmama810 said:
Yeah, it really depends on so much. Plus just because you have one type doesn't mean you won't have the other, too. (Hit from behind that pushes you into car in front. Or hit car in front and car behind still hits you.)

The best thing is to avoid the situation all together. I always try to keep a safe distance from the car in front of me. If I have someone following me too closely, I change lanes or increase my distance even more from the car in front of me. The more time *I* have to react, the more time it gives the bozo behind me, too.

this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC