what year kia sedona to avoid?

bethng

So I totaled my 2006 kia sedona a few weeks ago. Perhaps going to replace it with another one. Must be 2002 model or newer so I can LATCH my boosters (yes, thats important to me). I know there was at least one year where the models were duds. Anyone know? I had zero issues with my 06. Had 120K miles too :(

ADS

Mags462

The only year I'm finding issues for researching online is the 2003 - which has issues with the tranny.

Sorry about your van :(

jjordan

I think there was a redesign in 2006 that made it significantly better. (Maybe safer? I know 2006-2010 or so were IIHS safety best bets.) So I'd stick with 2006 or newer if you can.

geekKT

I've always heard go 2006 or newer.

I believe the crash tests were not as good for the model years prior. I seem to also recall hearing that it was the 06's that were redesigned with Hyundai influence and the reliability went up... but now I feel like I'm making that up.

agave

I believe the crash tests were not as good for the model years prior. I seem to also recall hearing that it was the 06's that were redesigned with Hyundai influence and the reliability went up... but now I feel like I'm making that up.

This is exactly what I remember hearing before buying my '06 Sedona

Melanie

That's all correct. 2005 & before was a completely different van. Not as reliable or safe as 06+

littleangelfire

Is it possible to go any newer than 06? Maybe try to aim for whatever year they put lap/shoulder belt in every position? My friend had an 06 that irritated me to no end b/c it had a lap belt in the middle.

geekKT

littleangelfire said:
Is it possible to go any newer than 06? Maybe try to aim for whatever year they put lap/shoulder belt in every position? My friend had an 06 that irritated me to no end b/c it had a lap belt in the middle.

My 06 has l/s in every position. The center third row has the type that connects from the ceiling. It also has two sets of UAS in the third row where my friend's 2012 does not.

bethng

littleangelfire said:

My 06 had lap/shoulder in all seating positions. 4 full sets of LATCH too!

littleangelfire

My 06 has l/s in every position. The center third row has the type that connects from the ceiling. It also has two sets of UAS in the third row where my friend's 2012 does not.

humn. i looked up pics on the 2006. Obviously that is not what she has, I see the shoulder belt in the back! I wonder if she knows it's not a 2006? Maybe she forgot? I don't know. It does make me feel better they didn't still have lapbelts in there in 06. I always thought her van was older b/c of the lap belt, and then when she told me it was an 06 it took me aback. So i wonder what year it is.

Melanie

humn. i looked up pics on the 2006. Obviously that is not what she has, I see the shoulder belt in the back! I wonder if she knows it's not a 2006? Maybe she forgot? I don't know. It does make me feel better they didn't still have lapbelts in there in 06. I always thought her van was older b/c of the lap belt, and then when she told me it was an 06 it took me aback. So i wonder what year it is.
Maybe she's thinking its 2006 because she bought it in 2006, but it was really a 2005 model year?

littleangelfire

Does it have a 50/50 split bench? There are 2 versions of the '06.

Since it's not my car I could easily be mistaken but i don't remember the 3rd row splitting/folding forward at all. She had a middle bench that only had two seats on it, and it folded forward, not into the floor, just the seat back folded down over seat bottom, but I don't remember the 3rd row doing it. Her headrests also did not look like the ones I saw in the 2006 pics. Namely because she did not have a headrest in the middle of the third row.

bethng

Is it possible to go any newer than 06? .

not with our budget. Actually, truth be told I would like to NOT get another van. My oldest is driving now. My next oldest will be driving in a year or so and that leaves me with just 2 kids and me who is desperate to have a smaller gas bill. Looking at smaller KIA's. I would love and accord or camery but I can get more for my buck with a KIA and the two that I have owned have never given me any problems....well...almost. lol But nothing big and expensive. But really I am up for anything in our price range (no more then $4500). I dont want a car payment and thats all the cash we are willing to dish out right now. We will save for a new car 2-3 years down the line.

littleangelfire

bethng said:
not with our budget. Actually, truth be told I would like to NOT get another van. My oldest is driving now. My next oldest will be driving in a year or so and that leaves me with just 2 kids and me who is desperate to have a smaller gas bill. Looking at smaller KIA's. I would love and accord or camery but I can get more for my buck with a KIA and the two that I have owned have never given me any problems....well...almost. lol But nothing big and expensive. But really I am up for anything in our price range (no more then $4500). I dont want a car payment and thats all the cash we are willing to dish out right now. We will save for a new car 2-3 years down the line.

Well apparently I was wrong anyway and 06 had all lap/shoulder belts.

Sent from my Sidekick 4G using Car-Seat.Org

crunchierthanthou

I always thought her van was older b/c of the lap belt, and then when she told me it was an 06 it took me aback. So i wonder what year it is.

L/s belts weren't required in all rear seating positions until 2008. Some Chrysler and GM vehicles still had lap belts in the center until ~5 years ago.

Even with driving teenagers, I'd aim for a vehicle that the whole family can still fit in. :twocents:

littleangelfire

crunchierthanthou said:
L/s belts weren't required in all rear seating positions until 2008. Some Chrysler and GM vehicles still had lap belts in the center until ~5 years ago.

Even with driving teenagers, I'd aim for a vehicle that the whole family can still fit in. :twocents:

I always wondered what year it was that it became required. Thanks! Having always driven imports that after about 2000 had all l/s it was a surprise to me that domestic models didn't many if them.

Sent from my Sidekick 4G using Car-Seat.Org

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The Sedona was completely redesigned for 2006. The 05 and older is a totally different vehicle. Any van 2006 or newer is fine, although there was a short wheel base available in 07 i think? that has ZERO "trunk" space behind the 3rd row, and no 3rd row middle headrest (because its a 50/50 split instead of a 60/40 - it still has a L/S though) so I would avoid that one unless you really don't care about the complete lack of storage. We have an 06 and freaking love it. And yes, all seating positions have L/S belts AND headrests.

LAF - the 06 and newer sedona does not, and has never had a second row bench option. Only 2 captains chairs. The 05 came with a middle row bench though ;)

i love that Kia put L/S belts in all positions 2 years before they "had" to, and honestly, I think it's one of the major, dealbreaker flaws for me about the similar years of the Dodge vans (caravans/town and country). Why have a seating position I can't use? (my kids are all older now, and soon I will have ZERO kids in harnessed seats)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC