Recommendation for lightweight umbrella stroller

milli

I already have a full size stroller but it takes up my trunk space and it is also heavy not suited for quick shopping trips. So I'm looking for an umbrella stroller with the following criteria(in the order listed)

1. Light weight
2. Can fold or unfold with one hand
3. Takes up less space when folded
4. Sturdy and easy to maneuver

Searched here and found out Maclaren Volo is possibly the lightest available(8.6 lbs). Are there any other strollers that I should consider? Please let me know your recommendations.

Thanks for your time.

ADS

skaterbabs

Honestly, I really, really like my Volo. At first I didn't care for it much, but I think that was dissapointment more than anthing else because I really wanted the pink Mod Quest. lol

After using it for several months, though, Im glad I got it and I take it everywhere. It's a breeze to open and close, weighs nothing, and has a handy shoulder strap.

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Wow that does look nice, too bad it only has a 40# weight limit, I love my Volos for my 5&7 yr olds when we go to Boston.

Melissa have you tried one of these strollers?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have a Chicco C6 and love it. HOWEVER, it only has a 37-pound weight limit and its handles are lower than the Volo. If you are short, that won't be a problem. If you are tall, that could be an issue.

I do love the Chicco C6, though. It is not as nice as the MAclarens or other "higher-end" strollers, but I do like it. :)

lovinwaves

How is Chicco C6 compared to Volo/Uppa Baby G-Lite?

Ok, member Colleen just got a new Uppa Baby G-lite. She said it is Niiiiiice!! She said it pushed just like a Maclaren, but seemed to a nicer feeling to it. It also came with that fabric insert. The G-Lite also stands on it's own. That is very important to me ;)

ccjones

The Uppa Baby G-Lite is actually lighter than the Volo (8.3 lbs vs 8.6 lbs). I just got the G-Lite and I really like it! I don't have a Volo to compare it to, but I do have a Mac Quest and the G-Lite pushes and steers just like the Quest.

I like the fact the G-lite comes with a removable pad that is machine-washable. This pad sits on top of the mesh seat, so you can still use the G-lite even if you're washing the pad. The G-Lite comes with a carry strap,. but I think the Volo does as well. But I still think the neatest feature is that it stands up by itself when folded. Plus it's about $100, so a little less coin than a Volo!

http://www.uppababy.com/product_0007.php

milli

Thanks for all your inputs. I like the G-Lite features-lightest among all and provides good handling and steering.

But I see I could get a Maclaren Volo Stroller in Salmon Pink Fabric 2006 for $85 online.

From price point of view(thought it is not much) I'm kind of inclined towards Volo considering the brand.

I would consider C6 which is less expensive than Volo but I'm a tall person and I don't want to hurt my back(Patriot20171, thanks for pointing it out)

lovinwaves

The VOLO is probably going to be $90 with shipping. So for $9 more you can have a 2007 stroller. The G-Lite's additional features over the VOLO are that it stands up on it's own (important to me), it is lighter, and that it comes with a fabric insert. Depending on where you live, but that might be important in the winter, so the child doesn't feel a draft through the mesh.

My plan is to get the G-Lite and use it in the summer (because of the mesh), and then put the fabric insert in for the winter.

Another thing to consider is the G-Lite has fatter bigger tires, and also has 2 adjustable positions for the harness straps. The Volo only has one for the 2006 models.

Also the G-Lite folds with your hands at hand level, where the VOLO uses more of a foot action. Not so good if you are a flip flop wearer LOL!!

They are BOTH awesome strollers, and I know this is a hard decision.

Wineaux

I posted a 20% off coupon for Maison and Matisse that works with the Uppababy G-Lite, so it would knock it down to about $80. Add $20 worth of fillers (also at 20% off) to get your total to $100 or more, and you get free shipping. The link and coupon code are posted in the Community Chat forum.

PS... it also works on the UppaBaby Vista to knock it down from $599 to $479.

I hope that helps!

http://www.masonandmatisse.com/index.html

Coupon Code: CSB20

For 20% off your entire order!

milli

Does the year makes any difference(in safety like car seats) for strollers other than it is latest or may have new features? The $85 includes shipping as well so the question is for $15:) more, should i buy the g-lite or not?

Wineaux, thanks for posting the coupon. Unless I buy fillers(not many that I would really need) for $20 the shipping cost is almost the same as the discount you get.

So for $9 more you can have a 2007 stroller.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC