Six+ passengers, inexpensive, safe, reliable - where to start looking

Let me start with what are have now. We've are a single vehicle family (DH, me, 2 DSs age 7 and 9) driving a Corolla. We love that we are keeping are carbon footprint down by having only one vehicle, and one with reasonable fuel economy at that. DH and I work at the same place about 5 km from home, so we either go in together or DH bikes to work. We both have flexible hours (mine are part-time) One of us occasionally takes a cab if needed. We've managed to carefully schedule the kids' activities so only one vehicle is needed, but it's getting harder as they get older.

We're pretty sure we're going to have to get a second vehicle this winter, because DHs work schedule is such that driving in together is going to be impossible. If we have to abandon our single vehicle lifestyle, we think we'll cave to the kids' wishes to have something big enough that they can bring friends places. We're looking at something in the 2007-2009 range - don't want to pay for new, but want something that shouldn't need major repairs right away.

We really don't know much about minivans or SUVs. Our priorities are safe, inexpensive, reliable, reasonably good fuel economy. Mazda5 and Kia Sedona seem like reasonable options. What others are we missing? Fortunately, we don't need to worry about tether anchors and such. Both boys are currently in an Apramo (Harmony clone) or a Clek Oto in the Corolla. They are both tall for their age, and DS1 is nearly 5-stepping. We are in Canada.

ADS

jjordan

Minivans typically get better gas mileage than SUV's. Both of the options you listed would be good, although I'd stay away from the Mazda5 if you expect to be taking this vehicle on trips where you'll be bringing a fair amount of luggage. I have a 2008 Sedona (purchased a few months ago) and we love it. It is less expensive than similar Odysseys and Siennas, which are usually the "go to" minivan recommendations here.

morlando27

Ford Freestyle (2005-2007)/Taurus X(2008-2009)...excellent safety ratings, comes in 6 or 7 passenger models (2-2-2 or 2-3-2), decent fuel economy, FWD or AWD options, can be found under $10K if you don't mind mileage of 80K+.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
We decided recently on a certified used Mazda 5. The price was excellent and we're happy with it! Except that ours does not have rear-air. Apparently that year it wasn't an option but it is now. We with three (soon to be four) in the back, it gets pretty darn hot back there! I honestly don't remember what year it is, it's DH's car. I am not sure I could swing it as our only vehicle, but we're a family of 6, not 4, so it's a big difference! We have to have that third row. You can fit A LOT in the back with the third row down, but when it's up there is ZERO space. Which is why we couldn't do it as our only family car, no room to pack if we're going somewhere! All in all, it's a nice little car. DH likes the fuel economy and the "not van-ness" of it. I like that we have two vehicles that fit our whole family, so we can both drive our kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC