Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Monterey issues? Anyone know if it works in 08 Elantra?

Reading here about the Monterey's issues, I'm still not sure I completely understand them, and certainly not enough to know if we will have them. I feel like we have few options (because DD is very skinny, narrow, and tall). From getting recommendations here, this may be one of our more promising options, otherwise I'd say forget it for having issues.

Anyone know if it works in the 08 Elantras? What about Foresters? Is it an option for travel? I suppose it it not an option for travel because we wouldn't know if it would have issues with the rental car?

I can relate to the going insane thread!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Monterey issues? Anyone know if it works in 08 Elantra?

Anyone? If you haven't tried it in an elantra, could anyone share how I might tell if it might have issues? Or is that not possible?

I keep thinking I should just order one from amazon with free returns, but I don't like to do that unless I think it'll work. Or maybe I'll go the opposite way and order two or three and see which works the best.

I know it fits well in my '10 Elantra. It's the SK Monterey though, not the Diono.

5. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by gsdguenter View Post
    I know it fits well in my '10 Elantra. It's the SK Monterey though, not the Diono.
    I'm sorry, I should have specified the Diono model. I don't think the SKs had the issues, right? But I really appreciate your response, anyway.

Anyone have the Diono monterey in the elantra? Please. Pretty please.

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar
    I have a Diono Monterey and have spoken to Diono about the belt guide issue.

I can glance in my parking lot tomorrow to see if there are any Elantras but I can tell you that the belt guides have been an issue in the few vehicles I've tried so far.

Here is a video of my son and what happens in my 2006 Mazda MPV (in all seating positions with the headrest in any position, I tested them all):

[video removed for privacy]

There is a 'fix' for this suggested by Diono, and that is to bypass the belt guide and just not use it IF you get good belt fit without it. This is not something they've publicly stated yet, although they did give it to me in writing. And something you'd have to decide if you're comfortable with.

If you will need to travel with this seat I'd advise against it since you don't whether the belt guide will be an issue OR how the belt would fit without it in any vehicle you happen to be in.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org
    Last edited by CTPDMom; 08-03-2012 at 05:35 AM.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

8. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

What a sweetie! Thank you for sharing your video. It really demonstrates the problem well.

I am not feeling good about that seat and I don't like that they are telling people about this fix, yet not declaring it as public policy. Also, I'm not sure if it will have an issue with our headrest and don't like that it needs one behind it. With that said, otherwise I really liked it. It has a nice deep seat, extends tall, cozy, nice sides, and I read it fits narrower kids well, so it might work for my tall skinny DD. But the glitches are big!

I'm starting to wonder if there is a seat that will work for us.

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar
    I'm glad it was helpful!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.