Carseat for 4 year old in scoliosis cast

catzwoman28

My 4 year old will be in a cast for scoliosis, we thought we had 3 months to get things figured out found out today we have 2 weeks. Looking for anyone with experience with the best option for seats for her. She is curretnly 39 lbs , 4 years old. Rides mostly in a graco nautilus or radian ( also have a true fit or complete air ) Our vehicle is a honda odyssey 2009 , has to be able to puzzle with multiple other seats.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Can you describe the cast? How will her movement be restricted? Will she be able to bend at the waist? Also, how long will she be in the cast?

catzwoman28

All I know for sure is what the doctor described , the cast will be approx the shape of a tank top, ending just at the top of her hips, she should be able to bend some as far as I know. She will be in the cast for 3 mos at a time for around 2 years or more. ( not sure if there are breaks between casts or for how long at this point )

catzwoman28

The description I have gotten looks to be similar to the second one you linked to ( I know for sure it will have straps as he said they tend to fall over time without , and they can either do tank top style his preferred or cast the top of one arm , which he does not like to do )

My biggest concern is strap length as there is not a lot of strpa left to pull out of her current seat.

cande

My dd is 5.5 and has severe juvenile/infantile scoliosis (curve discovered at 28 degrees and now at 50 degrees). She was in a brace for about 10 months startting about a year ago. IIt limited her flexibility as it immobilized her from under her arms to below her pelvis. that being said, she was able to ride in her nautilus. You will likely need a small plastic stepstool to help your dc get up into the seat in a van. (I drive an 08 Ody). Good luck with the casting.

catzwoman28

Update the cast is now on, and she is just over the top slot for the nautilus, so we will be buying a frontier it looks like. Alos going ot check out the hippo carseat the hospital has just in case that works.

christineka

Update the cast is now on, and she is just over the top slot for the nautilus, so we will be buying a frontier it looks like. Alos going ot check out the hippo carseat the hospital has just in case that works.

If she's too tall for the nautilus, she's way too tall for the hippo. The hospital may have the travellor plus, which she might fit in, but it's a big, huge, bulky seat. If you can/ I think the frontier is probably a longer term solution.

catzwoman28

I figured out that she would be too tall for the hippo before we went back up there. We bought a frontier for her . The hippo is the only loaner seat the occuaptional therapist mentioned having.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC