Is there any reason not to do this?

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I talked to a Grandma today who has two grandsons - 3 and 5. She has a Maestro that she's been using for the 3 year old and but she's going to start taking the 5 year old to school on different days of the week than when she has the 3 year old. The 5 year old is 55 pounds, so her idea is that since the Maestro is LATCHed in for the 3 year old, she can just loosen the harness and pull it to the sides and put the 5 year old in it as a booster with the seat belt.

I couldn't think of any reason not to for as long as the 5 year old fits properly? Anyone else have any care either way about it? She really explain but for whatever reason she really doesn't want another seat in the car.

ADS

Keeyamah

On a different board I'm on, a mom asked this about the Nautilus and when she contacted Graco, they said no, because (once you read through the semi-legalize) the seat hadn't been crash tested that way. So, IDK.

emandbri

I'd be fine with it, Benjamin had used my nautilus that way, I was sad when Elizabeth reached the latch limit because it gave me some flexibility.

I loosened the harness, put it on the sides and then tightened it again.

gigi

It isn't THAT short for a 5 year old, I don't think. My 5 yo is average size (43",44 lbs, 5t shirts, 4 or 5 pants, 16"ish torso) and has a good 3" of harness growth (he's 1" below the second slots from the top). He could use the booster for at least a couple more years I think...so this bigger 5 y.o. has a good chance of fitting, I think. Maybe not forever but probably will fit right now.

sparkyd

One thing to consider is how it is supposed to be LATCHed for booster mode. Is it supposed to be tight with less than one inch of movement (like for harnessed mode) or do they specifically say to LATCH it loosely for booster mode? If I remember correctly that is the deal with the Nautilus - you aren't supposed to tighten up the LATCH the same way in each mode. That would make the seat perform differently in a crash. :twocents:

Kat_Momof3

I just mean that it will depend on how he's built... if he's tall for his age and especially if he has a long torso, while he may not be too tall for it immediately, it could be very soon.

an evenflo amp highback would be so easy and inexpensive to pick up for using with him.

mamakc

I wouldn't do it. I would get a $14 backless booster for the 5 year old in that car.

-Krista
DD~5.5~ FF Radian xtsl/HBturbo/monterey
DS~3.5~ FF Avenue/Maestro
DN~2~ RF Coccoro

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC