Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Mazda 5

Mazda 5

Does anyone know if the Mazda 5 will ever have automatic sliding doors and 4 wheel drive?
    DD Jan 2005
    RF to 3 1/2 years; Harnessed to 7 1/2 years; Now Boostered

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Mazda 5

No idea but that would be awesome. We are in the market for one now.

4. Thank You from:

Ali

I know! We have a Grand Caravan as a rental right now and love, love, love the sliding doors. The automatic make it even better. We don't need a minivan because we only have one DD (and are done). We would like to have 4 wheel drive for the occasional snow we get in WA.
    DD Jan 2005

Carseat Crazy

We have two so we don't need a full minivan either but I've heard the mazda 5 handling in the snow leaves something to be desired so that is the only thing that makes us a little nervous. We are still going to look at them this weekend though
    It seems like everyone who has them loves them.

7. Thank You from:

Ali

Quote Originally Posted by a09
    We have two so we don't need a full minivan either but I've heard the mazda 5 handling in the snow leaves something to be desired so that is the only thing that makes us a little nervous. We are still going to look at them this weekend though
    It seems like everyone who has them loves them.
    I haven't had any issues with mine in the snow at all. I live in Atlantic Canada and we get a decent amount of snow here. I have a good set of winter tires and I also got the manual transmission, which I find gives me more control in snowy and icy conditions.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

Carseat Crazy

I have heard that automatic sliding doors are much heavier and so I doubt they will ever introduce them on the 5- but I don't know.

I live where it rarely snows and so investing in good snow tires is a very $$ luxury. So when it does snow, the 5 does not handle very well. Ours is automatic and if there is any weather on the road we HAVE to use our manual option to stay on the road. So it sounds like there are ways to make the 5 handle well in snow.
    2018 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda5, and 2001 Toyota Echo (we drive 'em forever)
    Kids aged 15-6, but none driving yet. Well, only golf carts.

10. Thank You from:

Ali

Carseat Crazy

I have a 5 and get 10'+ of snow a year. I survived the first winter on the tires it came with from Mazda (all of the winter tires were sold out because Quebec made them mandatory that year). Definitely got them the second year and it handles great on snow with them.

I think even getting different all-seasons would be an improvement over the stock ones so maybe that's an option. Those tires were slippery.
    DS 06/2006 - Diono Monterey, Turbo Booster (for now - still shopping)
    DD 09/2008 - FF Marathon, Diono Monterey

How do you think the 5 would handle in Washington state where we hardly ever get snow, but when we do the city shuts down because of the hills?
    DD Jan 2005

Carseat Crazy

The stock tires are awful. All-season has been an improvement, but I still look for ways to stay home if the roads aren't great. We have never had a bad time in off-weather, but the handling in said weather doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I think the 5 would be fine for you, Ali, as long as you realize you are getting a 2wd car and not a 4wd sport ute.
    2018 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda5, and 2001 Toyota Echo (we drive 'em forever)
    Kids aged 15-6, but none driving yet. Well, only golf carts.

Yes, the "stock" tires on the 5 suck. I had a 2008 and had a lot of issues with wet roads (our weather "hazard") until replacement. It's a really fun car, I loved mine. It was beyond perfect for us when we were a family of 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500