Need thoughts

ninejr

Our 02 caravan has major issues. DH really wants to try and fix it but I'm totally done with it. We have started looking at replacements and have several different options, I could use your thoughts. We can either wipe out our savings but buy out right, or use part of our savings, take out a loan and get a newer (still used) vehicle.
Outright we have found a few:
00-02 Sienna
02-06 Caravan
Loan we are looking at:
07-09 caravan
04-05 sienna
07 Sedona
Then there is the "really cutting it close in the budget" 10 Sedona, but it comes with a bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer, which makes it appealing.

What are your thoughts, any of those vehicles we should cross off? We still have to decide together if to get a loan or spend our entire savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

canadiangie

A while back, there was a report that came out saying the Sedona isn't quite as safe as once rated. I can't recall the details (it wasn't jaw dropping info, just that it slid down the rankings a wee bit), but I'll be honest I still really, really prefer the Sedona, or Hyundai Entourage if you can find one, over a Gr.Caravan in spite of the decreased rating. Of course a Sienna or Oddy is good too. I don't even have an opinion on them; they're just dandy as minivans go. My point, if I have one, is that I'd place a Gr.Caravan at the very bottom of my list of potential vans. Mainly it's the tether anchor nonsense that Chrysler offers (and continues to offer even for 2012) that makes me boycott it. C'mon Chrysler, it's a VAN for heaven's sake.

An 07 Sedona or slightly older Sienna, that's my vote. :)

Nimommyof2

Are you finiancing? Personally if I am getting finiancing on something I'd rather pay the extra and have bumper to bumper warranty and a newer vehicle. Its never fun to have payments and repair bills at the same time.

ninejr

I can't believe we did this, but we bought the 2010 Sedona. It is going to be tight with the monthly payments but the warranty gives me some peace of mind. I have never owned a car that was newer than five years old, and I have never had car payments before. This is all a little scary. we decided we don't have the time to buy another older vehicle and do repairs, and if we are going to have payments we want a vehicle new enough to still be under warranty.

canadiangie

That's so exciting!! Congrats! You should post pics. What colour is it? Do you love it? I have to admit that while I'm not a van girl I really do like the Sedona/Entourage. It's at the perfect price point with great offerings, and it looks good. :)

ninejr

The new van and the two older girls trying it out. I didn't get a pic of all three kids because C was in the house with DH.

Attachments

• image-3101044989.jpg
    image-3101044989.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 30
  • image-3917385895.jpg
    image-3917385895.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 37
  • image-1310538323.jpg
    image-1310538323.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 39

agave

I've had my '06 Sedona for about 6 months it's been really good. I wanted an SUV but it was the best fit in out budget.

canadiangie

Very nice!! My ride is white, too. I was initially worried about keeping it clean, but I swear even a dirty white vehicle still looks great (and surprisingly clean!). It sure beats dh's black car that NEVER looks clean, even when freshly washed.
Anyway, I ramble. Congrats on the new ride! :)

CommMom

Senior Community Member
Pretty ride! Enjoy your new van!

We've had our 06' Sedona for about a year now and have been pleased with it. Drives well, seats install well, plenty of room. For the price point, it's a good van. My only complaint is that our mechanic doesn't like to work on it. (LOVE our mechanic, but he's got a "thing" about foreign cars.)

I told DH I had to start saving up for an Ody for when it's time to replace this one, lol. I would say I'd happily do a Sedona again, but that probably won't be an option (I'm pretty picky about age and mileage on my used cars.) Since they've discontinued them, I'll probably have to get an Ody or a Sienna when we need to replace. And, of course, to get one of those with acceptable age and mileage it's gonna cost me, lol. (I don't like the Chrysler vans at all. I know some folks are big fans, but I'm just not.)

geekKT

Nice van! :) I like the white, too. We have a black '06 that we bought a bit over a year ago now and we really like it. It's had some maintenance needed but nothing outside of the scope of normal for its age, just upkeep.

I didn't know they were being discontinued though, that's interesting. Mine is nearly indistinguishable from the newer ones in terms of styling, so I had been waiting to see what the next version might look like; I guess there won't be one for now.

BriDaily

So excited for you! My parents have an 02 Caravan and it's on transmission #4! Soo I get why you needed a newer vehicle. As to being in a tight budget - grow some of your own food, if you don't already. Cloth diaper instead of using disposables. There are loads of ways to save money as a parent! It's so important to weigh the costs and benefits of the choices we make for our kids, especially long-term costs. Thankfully, car payments are not forever!!! Here's to hoping your new minivan lasts a long time!

ninejr

:) we reworked our budget last night and one of the main things we decided to work on was saving on groceries and diapers. We already have cloth diapers from our older kids, I just didn't have the energy with baby #3 so we haven't been using them much. We decided yesterday to use them more so hopefully we will be saving that way. DH has carrots, potatoes, and spices growing, we rent and don't have a big garden, but have some room to grow a few things. One of our biggest money savers is DH bakes all of our bread for the week every Sunday (that isn't new though, so it won't save us extra money right now). We have also decided to go back to a cash system (haven't used that in over 4 years) so that should really help us curb some of our random unnecessary spending. The new van is totally worth it so far :)

ninejr

The semi final set up in the new van -had to share somewhere :)

Attachments

• image-3764383855.jpg
    image-3764383855.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 20
  • image-478686875.jpg
    image-478686875.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 19

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC