What are all our options?

B

bbyantsmommy

I have posted here before and you are all so very helpful so I am hoping that I will get some good information again.
My son is 28 months old and is right around 41 inches tall and is 39lbs.
He is just 1 lb shy of the weight limit on his current harness seat and we are trying to figure out what our options are after this.
We have looked at the Britax husky but seeing as we need 2 carseats we just cannot afford $200+ times 2 carseats....$200 is quite a lot in the first place. What other seats are on the market that are over 40lbs harnessed? Is it too early to move him to a belt bositioning booster? Would it be possible to use a bpb prehaps just in one car(which is used twice a week currently for about 10 minutes each way to and from? and will be only once a week after next week?)
We really cannot afford to purchase 2 huskys at this point but we of course want him to be safe in the car.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. I had done a lot of reasearch on the rearfacing issue but this bpb and harness issue I havent had the time to really research.
Thank you.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Amanda. I think your post just slipped right by us--sorry!

If you don't have the money to spend on Britax seats, then you basically have 2 safe options: the Nania Airway and an E-Z-On vest. The Airway is around $100 (http://www.babyage.com/product_details.aspx?productid=684 ) and is harnessed to 50 lbs., then it converts to a belt positioning booster. The vest is under $100, I believe, but you will need special tether anchors. I'm really not that familiar with their vests or tether anchors, so you'd get much more info. from them: http://www.ezonpro.com .

I wouldn't put a child that age in a belt positioning booster, even for a 10 minute trip.

B

bbyantsmommy

thanks for the info.
Is there anything that goes to say 60lbs harnessed that isn't difficult to move between cars or isn't more than $100-$150
50lbs doesn't buy us a whole lot of time with the way he has grown

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hmm, probably the vest. My ds was 35 lbs. at his 2 year checkup and only 38 lbs. at his 3 year checkup. Of course, at age 4 he shot up to 45 lbs. I guess I'm trying to say that it may take your ds a while to gain that weight, so the Airway may not be a wasted purchase on your part.

The Airway is not necessarily the easiest seat to install, but it's easier if you have lower LATCH anchors in your car. I've never installed a vest, but it should be easy to do.

B

bbyantsmommy

I guess that my concern is last we checked he is right at 39lbs(this was probably 2 weeks ago) and almost 41 inches long. I want to say he was 36lbs or so at his 2 year appt. give or take a lb. so he has continued to gain weight. He is not even 2 and a half yet. he will be 2 and a half on the 30th of july!
Hes no where near the average size of a 2 year old. In fact he's even big for a 3 year old so my concern is if he continues at the rate he has been growing(and he hasn't stopped like everyone said he would) where will we be in a year? buying yet another seat?

Please don't get me wrong I want him to be safe. Ask anyone of my family members I'm annoyingly crazy about his safety in general but especially in the car.
It is just expensive to spend $100 here on a carseat and have to replace it with a $250 one a year later..kwim?
I think we may just break down and buy the britax husky. I will have to just find a way to switch it once a week when it needs to be(I am an expert at his current seat so im sure with practice and the help of the trainers here I will get it).
I just was hoping to hear that someone had come out with a more reasonably priced seat for the bigger kids
sigh.
I can dream right lol
I really do appreciate your help.
I guess we will continue to look for the big sales and just hope that we can make it a few more weeks until we hit the 40lb mark and get lucky to hit a good sale.

B

bbyantsmommy

oh lol i just realised that in my signature is his 2 year stats
37lb and 37.5 inches lol
so that tells ya where hes at
gained 2lbs and grown almost 3.5 inches
in about 5 months.

groovymom2000

Hi Amanda-

We have a Husky and really love it. Once you get the hang of installing it, it's really not that bad to move, and it will last you for quite a while. Good luck!
Beth-mom to Elliot (12/05/00) and Ian (5/13/04)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC