carrier with lock-off's??

shashoo

Are there any infant carriers that have built in lock-offs on the actual carrier, not the base?
If not, what seat is the easiest to install without the base?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I can't think of any current seats that have lock-offs on the actual seat. I will do some research for you, though.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm not aware of any carriers with built in lock-offs on the seat itself either, but I don't know every single carrier available in the US. ;)

You'll want to avoid the evenflo carriers completely, because most of them can only be installed with the base and don't have belt guides. I really haven't done my carriers without a base, so can't answer if one is easier than another. If you're using it for a newborn, you will want to have some sort of tightly rolled towel or pool noodle in most cases to get the right angle.

shashoo

Nania has one. But I don't care for the seat.
What model is it?

I notice that the Orbit baby does, but I thought something more affordable had one too. I wish Britax would make another seat that had a built in lock off like the Handle With Care.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Was this the Britax model you were thinking of? The Baby Safe?

2330.jpg

I'm not sure if it has built-in lock-offs. I have seen it in person, but I honestly don't remember.

It is discontinued.

shashoo

Last edited:

Lilsid

I have a Combi Tyro II it has a red lock off that the manual states must be used at the buckle if using the seat with out the base.

The base has a built in lock off also and a RF tether so it dose not rebound.

If using it with out the base you put the lap portion of the seat belt through two side locks and the top of the seat belt gets routed around the back top portion of the car seat. It is a very European install. Then you add the red plastic lock off when finished to both the top and bottom of the seat belt by where it buckles. I hope this helps.

http://www.combi-intl.com/manuals/files/documents/47.pdf

Page 28 & 29 show it.

snowbird25ca

I have a Combi Tyro II it has a red lock off that the manual states must be used at the buckle if using the seat with out the base.

The base has a built in lock off also and a RF tether so it dose not rebound.

If using it with out the base you put the lap portion of the seat belt through two side locks and the top of the seat belt gets routed around the back top portion of the car seat. It is a very European install. Then you add the red plastic lock off when finished to both the top and bottom of the seat belt by where it buckles. I hope this helps.

http://www.combi-intl.com/manuals/files/documents/47.pdf

Page 28 & 29 show it.

I just want to clarify in case others have this seat, the red lock-off for use with seatbelt only installations is basically like a locking clip - performs the same job and is used in the same circumstances. It is not mandatory if you are using the seatbelt in ALR (automatic locking retractor,) mode, or if you have lightweight locking latch plate or locking latchplate.

pg 21 of pdf:
Installation with Lap/Shoulder Belts:
•When using vehicle lap/shoulder belts, shoulder belt may be used for additional support.
•Place shoulder belt around back of Tyro™ (fig. d) and through the vehicle shoulder belt guide on back of car seat shell (fig. e).
-If shoulder belt is too short to go around back of Tyro™, position shoulder belt through the lap belt guide above the vehicle buckle and against vehicle seat back (fig. f). Do not route shoulder belt through lap belt guides on both sides of car seat.

Lap/shoulder belt with free sliding latch plate:
- Pull out on latch plate (fig. g). If belt slides freely through latch plate, a belt lock-off must be used as described in “Belt Lock-off” section.
- Some combination lap/shoulder belts with free sliding latch plates may be converted into an “automatic locking mode” that will allow use without a belt lock-off. See vehicle owner’s manual and label on vehicle belts for instructions.

Bolding is all mine. I also bolded the part about not threading the shoulder belt through both guides in instances where the shoulder belt is too short to route behind the carrier just because I thought it was an important point. ;)

This looks like a really nice car seat. I haven't seen one IRL, only read the manual, but just reading the manual I'm noticing things that are quite different than other seats and I think some of the little things increase the opportunity for error - all that to say, if you have this seat, I think it's probably even more important to have it checked by a tech. It's important for all seats, but this one I see having the potential for more misuse despite the manual being written pretty clearly.

(sorry for the thread hijack.)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I have a Combi Tyro II it has a red lock off...

I'm glad you mentioned this. I thought Combi had built in lock-offs, but when I checked their site, there was no mention of them. Maybe it's just the Tyro and the current seats don't have them.

snowbird25ca

I'm glad you mentioned this. I thought Combi had built in lock-offs, but when I checked their site, there was no mention of them. Maybe it's just the Tyro and the current seats don't have them.

Based on the manual linked above, there isn't a "built-in" lock off on the carrier itself. Instead of a locking clip, it comes with a red lock-off that is clamped around the belt itself in cases where the vehicle seat belt doesn't lock. So it's portable and seperate just the same as a locking clip, just should be easier to use. The base does have a built in lock-off though. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC