Will he fit in the airplane seatbelt?

jnamommy

I am flying with both kids in June. We have a 30 min layover in Denver (yikes!) so I am trying to minimize carry ons. I do not need to take seats, since I can send them ahead of time with my parents, who are driving. But I know dd will need a seat on the plane, so taking either the Radian or the TFP for her. For ds, I would love to not take a seat, but will he fit in the airplane belt? He will just barely be 6yrs, and his weight is around 37/38 lbs. He is 43 inches tall, so skinnyish.

ADS

NVMBR02

My guess is he will fit fine. My dd was also tall and skinny and I was comfortable enough with the lapbelt by the time she was 5 1/2-6 even though she wasn't 40 pounds yet. She is now 45ish pounds at 52 inches at 8 1/2 if that gives you any idea on her build.

aeormsby

I agree. If you're really worried you could look at renting a Cares harness. My DD will be flying for the first time using just the plane's seatbelt next month since we're taking a booster for her to use at our destination (she's 6yo and a little bigger than your DS). What concerns me almost more than the fit is younger kids messing with the buckle on the planes and not staying buckled.

crunchierthanthou

My ds was 5 when I let him start riding in the plane's seatbelt alone. The biggest problem was him slouching way down and putting his feet on the seat in front of him. I'd bet your ds is too tall for the CARES already.

jnamommy

Yeah, I am really not interested in the Cares. I will either lug another carseat or he sits in nothing.

My other big concern is that he is sitting across the aisle from me. When I bought the tickets, we got 3 in a row...then a few days later I got an email from the airlines that our itinerary changed. A different model of plane means only two seats, aisle, two more seats. So he is across the aisle now. I am worried as it is a late night flight that he will not be able to get comfy to sleep and will drive the poor stranger next to him crazy.

crunchierthanthou

Well, that makes it easier. You can only use a car seat next to a window (unless you have two together in a family group). You can't put one on the aisle across from you, which is exactly the situation where ds ended up in a seatbelt at age 5.

jnamommy

Yeah, I knew if I brought a carseat for ds because we needed it for the fit, he would have to go by the window, next to Poor Random Stranger.

The more I think about it, the more it does make sense to not bring his seat. And just pack the RSTV in my carryon, since I am planning on worst case, missing our connecting flight :eek:

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
I've been flying once a week for the last month on a variety of planes with my little guy, who is 37 pounds and 45ish inches at 6 years. He has fit very nicely in the plane seatbelt on all the planes we've been on.

mdsvc89

How about skip the carseat for him (my now 5 year old has done this a few times with no problem) and have the kids sit next to each other with YOU across the aisle. You're close enough to solve any problems between them, and you're next to the random stranger, not them.

Michelle

mayasmommy

How about skip the carseat for him (my now 5 year old has done this a few times with no problem) and have the kids sit next to each other with YOU across the aisle. You're close enough to solve any problems between them, and you're next to the random stranger, not them.

Michelle

This is what I would do. I would never want one of my kids sitting next to a stranger. Especially on a late night flight. I would worry about them being vulnerable. But I am overprotective like that.

cantabdad

This isn't directly carseat-related, but about your very tight connection: as you may know, when the airline changes THEIR schedule, they are often very accommodating about waiving the usual change fees so that you can get a better itinerary. I have done this several times even when flying just by myself, so I'd think they would be ever more sympathetic to a parent traveling with kids.

If you get the right reservations agent, you may be able to move your first flight up to have a more realistic layover, or potentially even switch to a more convenient morning flight or nonstop. They can also move assigned seats around for you if need be.

Usually you have to call the airline, but recently Delta actually called me when their schedule changed and they gave me plenty of new options.

You sound like an incredibly prepared person and have already done contigency planning for a missed connection, but I thought I would mention this.

jnamommy

cantabdad - thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, they don't even fly to my destination every day (small airport)...so other flights at diff times are not an option. I did call to ask if they would move us up closer to the front of the plane so we could get off sooner, but they told me no. So I will just hope our first flight is on time, and if not, be prepared to spend the night just in case :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC