Car seats or FAA harness on planes?

Rachelb

We are flying with our 2 year old, with an hour layover/plane change in each direction. We are debating on whether to put his car seat on the plane or get a harness. I think we will all be happier with him in his car seat once the plane gets going, but I have some concerns maybe you can help me with:

I'm worried about lugging his seat between gates to catch the second leg of our trip. It feels like we'll have a lot of stuff to manage at that time - bag of toys/snacks/diapers, stroller, kid, carseat, one other carry on. Anyone done all this before?

Will his Recaro Proride fit in the airplane seat in its full and upright position?

Are the FAA approved CARES harnesses safe? Easy to install?

If we check the car seat, will it be handled with care?

I have so many thought swirling my head - I should have paid the extra $$$ for a direct flight!!!

ADS

creideamh

Don't check his car seat. Bad, bad, bad idea. No, it won't be handled with care.
Can you buy a Tribute or Scenera for the trip? The ProRide is so bulky, I wouldn't want to drag it through airports.
CARES is FAA-approved, but if you need a car seat for your destination, I would use a car seat on the plane instead.

I've done the car seat, stroller, carry on, kid thing myself a few times. It's really not that bad, and strangers love to help moms with kids (drag your stuff off the x-ray machine, etc.) If you have another adult travelling with you, you'll be golden. :)

mdsvc89

I have done this a few times, and it's a pain, but you develop a rhythm. I used a wheeled luggage cart, specifically this one: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Personal-Hand-Truck/dp/B000HVVSDU"]Amazon.com: Magna Cart Personal Hand Truck: Sports & Outdoors[/ame] to roll the carseat (with my toddler in it!) through the airport. It made things much smoother.

I would NOT, under any circumstance, check your carseat. It is not guaranteed to be handled gently, and should be considered as safe as a crashed seat (as in not at all!) after being checked.

I second the recommendation of a light/cheap seat for travel. We had a scenera for that age, and used it as our backup/grandma's car/babysitter's car seat when we weren't traveling.

Michelle

Qarin

I'm worried about lugging his seat between gates to catch the second leg of our trip. It feels like we'll have a lot of stuff to manage at that time - bag of toys/snacks/diapers, stroller, kid, carseat, one other carry on. Anyone done all this before?

Yep. I stacked the car seat in the stroller, used a baby carrier to carry the toddler on me, slung the other stuff either over my shoulder or on the stroller. The biggest gate change I had involved being alone with my 2.5 year old and having to make my way to some elevator out to the tarmac onto a bus out to the remote terminal, out the door, and up the stairs to the plane, while 20 weeks pregnant and travelling alone with my kid, and my arriving flight had been late and I thought the next gate was right next door so I dawdled getting us off the plane. Yay! We made it.

Will his Recaro Proride fit in the airplane seat in its full and upright position?

Yes, it should.

Are the FAA approved CARES harnesses safe? Easy to install?

I've never used the CARES harness, but have heard good things for safety and ease of use, but:

If we check the car seat, will it be handled with care?

No. Really no. And for that reason I strongly advise working through the compact and efficient packing methods for being able to handle everything from car to gate, gate to gate, and gate to car.

I should have paid the extra $$$ for a direct flight!!!

Live and learn on that one, but you'll get through it, really you will.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I actually prefer a layover to have a few minutes to stretch our legs, run around, get a drink and a snack, use the restroom, etc before getting on the next plane :)

Ditto to what everyone else said.

Rachelb

I'm so glad i posted this question here. You all are great!! Thanks for all the tips - so definitely NO to checking the seat!

I'm going to look into the Traveling Toddler or one of those lighter seats, or both! I think he'll be more comfortable and feel settled if he is in a car seat. That will make the trip better for all of us.

Rachelb

Ok, I've looked at the Scenera and Tribute - inexpensive and light-weight, but only go to a maximum of 40 pounds, right? Is my child too young/small for a seat that converts to a booster, like the Nautilis?

It would be great, if we are going to buy something, to get something that he can use later. But are those convertible boosters even what I will want when he is big enough? Oh, and will it be a nap-comfortable seat for the plane?

Qarin

If he's forward-facing, then a combination seat (forward-facing -> booster) is fine (in harness mode!), but the Nautilus is a heavy, cumbersome seat, that I don't imagine would be easier to take through an airport than the pro-ride. You could consider a Maestro, which is pretty light, or you could consider the $35-$40 cost of a Scenera to be a travel expense, rather than as a long-term use car seat; if you take good care of it you could likely sell it easily for $20 after you get home.

Personally, I'd stick with the seat I already know and am comfortable with, but I'm just not that afraid of manhandling a bit of weight down the aisle of a plane.

Rachelb

If he's forward-facing, then a combination seat (forward-facing -> booster) is fine (in harness mode!), but the Nautilus is a heavy, cumbersome seat, that I don't imagine would be easier to take through an airport than the pro-ride. You could consider a Maestro, which is pretty light, or you could consider the $35-$40 cost of a Scenera to be a travel expense, rather than as a long-term use car seat; if you take good care of it you could likely sell it easily for $20 after you get home.

He is FF since he's past the weight limit of is ProRide. You make a good point about the weight of a combo seat...I think we'll just stick to the Scenera. I'm not ready to spend another chunk of money on the booster since he doesn't need it.

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC