Another Mazda CX-9 thread: 3-across in 2nd row

petesamprs

I didn't want to hijack other people's threads so I created my own. Looking for advice on going 3 across on a CX-9's 2nd row now that we are expecting #3 in August.

As of today:
- DD1: 4 years, 2 months. 36 lb., 42" (tall and thin)
- DD2: 2 years, 4 months. 27 lb., 35" (average)

Seats we currently own (all purchased within last 4.5 yrs):
- Graco Nautilus: in use by DD1 w/ 5-pt harness
- Evenflo Triumph Advance LX: in use by DD2 w/ 5-pt harness
- Graco snugride (22lb one) infant seat + base: in storage
- Safety 1st Uptown: used as backup in 2nd car

What is the best combo/configuration of my existing seats (or new seat recommendations)?

thanks.

ADS

petesamprs

Also, if possible, I'd like to be able to easily access the 3rd row still. The 2nd row is a 60/40, where either side can slide/tilt forward.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
The Radian installs beautifully in the center seat of the CX-9. You could very easily do Nautilus outboard, Radian center, and Snugride outboard. The EFTA is about the least friendly 3-across seat on the planet because of the side knobs, so if you ditch it for a Radian that opens up lots of options for you. The CX-9 third row is pretty useless for kids, it's too shallow for a RF seat and there are no tethers for a FF harnessed seat. We use my friend's a lot, and it's always an adult that sits back there and we just climb in through the back. :)

petesamprs

Thanks that is helpful - will check out the radian. I assume you mean the one that allows for up to 65lbs.

By the way, the CX-9 only has LATCH for the outboard positions, so I don't think I'll be able to LATCH it if I'm also LATCHing the snugride and nautilus. If you can't LATCH it, then it won't slide with the seat when you want to access 3rd row. Is DD1 big enough to use the radian with the regular shoulder belt (ie, no 5-pt)?

Yes, we want all 3 kids in 2nd row and 3rd row will be backup for adults.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Thanks that is helpful - will check out the radian. I assume you mean the one that allows for up to 65lbs.

By the way, the CX-9 only has LATCH for the outboard positions, so I don't think I'll be able to LATCH it if I'm also LATCHing the snugride and nautilus. If you can't LATCH it, then it won't slide with the seat when you want to access 3rd row. Is DD1 big enough to use the radian with the regular shoulder belt (ie, no 5-pt)?

Yes, we want all 3 kids in 2nd row and 3rd row will be backup for adults.

Correct, you only have two LATCH positions for the outboard seats. The outboard LATCH anchors are set fairly far to the inside though, and I always have much better luck installing 3 seats with seat belts because that gives you more room to install the car seats more towards the outside of the vehicle.

To use the Radian as a booster, the child has to be a minimum of 50 pounds, so no. At 4 years old and 36 pounds I'd like to see her stay in a harness at least another year. A few 4 year olds are mature enough to ride in a booster, but many are not. And anyway it's going to be easier to buckle her in a harness than it will be to buckle a booster with three other car seats anyway.

There's not really any way you're going to be able to access your third row via the folding seat without uninstalling a seat... if it's just for backup I would just have people climb in and out of the back (which I've done personally many times haha, it's really easy).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC