Travel to London w/ 20 month old RF or FF

We will be in both private and public transportation situations. Currently DD is RF in the Peg Convertible. I have heard that on long flights it is hard for the person in front to recline their seat if the carseat is RF. Would you do FF on the plane? What about in taxis in London?

This is our first trip overseas with toddler, carseats, and more.

ADS

Brianna

Are you interested in purchasing a smaller, lighter, more convenient travel car seat? For a long flight like that, I would definitely RF. She'll be more comfortable sleeping. You can let the person in front of her know that since she's RF she won't be kicking their seat back, and offer to buy them a drink.

Are you flying with a US carrier?

Yes, I do need some ideas on a more travel friendly seat. What's a good travel seat?

Good point, I have been going back and forth on RF and the seat in front vs. FF and kicking the seat.

Can I RF in the taxis or vehicles in England?

BritMum-in-US

Also, how do carseats fit on the Virgin plane seats? Are some easier than others?

Virgin Atlantic will not allow car seats on board at all. They have their own "child seat" which was horrendous for my 16 month old. I will not fly with them again until my children are out of car seats. Also know that airlines that are not American will not allow a toddler to rf. So if you want to rf, go with an American airline. Hope that helps!

mama~bear

We took the overnight flight to London from the East Coast. We RF'ed both of our True Fit seats for our 2 and 3 year olds. The TF's are huge seats and they fit fine. Since we were moving to the UK we were't interested in buying new seats just for travel. The attendants were very helpful and no one gave us any problem. Of course, you do have to have the RF seat either at the window or in the center of the long row so that you're not obstructing anyone's exit. Our decision about RF was based on what was safest for our child. We decided that we paid for that seat and we knew the airline was supportive of RF'ing so they would assist us if we had someone in front of us that was unhappy. We knew they would sleep great that way (which they did) and figured people would prefer that over a fussy child all night. Good luck!

Virgin Atlantic will not allow car seats on board at all. They have their own "child seat" which was horrendous for my 16 month old. I will not fly with them again until my children are out of car seats. Also know that airlines that are not American will not allow a toddler to rf. So if you want to rf, go with an American airline. Hope that helps!

Wow, this is very helpful. I had no clue at all.

We took the overnight flight to London from the East Coast. We RF'ed both of our True Fit seats for our 2 and 3 year olds. The TF's are huge seats and they fit fine. Since we were moving to the UK we were't interested in buying new seats just for travel. The attendants were very helpful and no one gave us any problem. Of course, you do have to have the RF seat either at the window or in the center of the long row so that you're not obstructing anyone's exit. Our decision about RF was based on what was safest for our child. We decided that we paid for that seat and we knew the airline was supportive of RF'ing so they would assist us if we had someone in front of us that was unhappy. We knew they would sleep great that way (which they did) and figured people would prefer that over a fussy child all night. Good luck!

Which airline did you use if you don't mind sharing? I just learned about Virgin and their policy.

LuvMyCharlie

We flew United here to Guam(18 hours) with a RF Coccoro. My DD was 15 months at the time. The person in front of her couldn't recline all the way, but most of it.

gigi

I fly to London regularly and never had a problem on Continental. I've flown American domestic either, but haven't flown them oversees with a RFer, still they never fussed about the RFer. I would stick with American carriers if possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC