I did my 1st SUCCESSFUL 3 across!!!

babyherder

Maestro in the middle and rf myride and rf tribute on the sides. All were independently secure! Now I have to re install the myride and tribute. And they have to switch sides. I need the myride behind the passenger's seat so the front seat can still slide back all the way for my 15 year old brother. The tribute is too reclined but the myride can be upright enough to leave more room for the passenger.

I think I have to take the Maestro out and install the myride and tribute first and then shove/wiggle and Maestro back in. Is that ok?

ADS

soygurl

Congrats on your first three-across! I was really excited the first time I did one too!

As for switching sides for the MR and Tribute, and then getting the Maestro back in, what kind of seat belt do you have in the center?

When I do a three-across, I like to do the center seat first. If it's a lap/shoulder I use a locking clip. If it's a locking latch plate lap-only, I'm just really careful to not adjust the lap belt when taking the center seat out and putting it back in again. That way I can be sure that the good install I got when first putting the center seat in, is just as good when putting it back in the middle (after testing the two outboard seats).

So basically, my 3-A routine is: install center seat (using LC, lap only locking latch plate, or center LATCH if allowed) and check for tightness. Install outer seats. Remove center seat (without adjusting seat belt, or LATCH strap) and check outboard seats for tightness. Reinstall center seat using same belt adjustments as before. Hope that makes sense! :thumbsup:

babyherder

I put in the two outboard seats and checked them. Then put in center seat and tightened it as much as I could. Then took the outboard seats out and checked the center seat. I got the center seat tight enough before I removed the outboard seats so I was planning on just doing that again. My latchplates lock but once I unbuckle the seat they move sooooo easily and I can't thread the seatbelt though the belt path without moving them. Maybe I'll just mark the seatbelt with a paperclip or something. And then take it off when I'm done installing. My plan for now is to install the myride and tribute outboard and check them. Then install the Maestro center. Then get my mechanic to move one of my outboard tether anchors center and tether the Maestro. Then I'll be ready to go.

soygurl

The problem with doing it that way is a) you're doing way more installs than you need to do, and b) you have no way to check the final installation of one (or two, depending on which way you do it) of the seats.

Sure, you might easily have gotten it tight enough the first time you did it, but there's no way to know for sure that you've got an acceptable install when it really matters.

If your locking latch plate slips easily, I'd use a locking clip on it, just to be sure it isn't moving when reinstalling the seat. A locking clip never belongs on a lap-only belt, but that's basically because it doesn't function in a way to be useful for a lap-only belt. In this case, it would be serving a purpose (thought not the one it's designed for). I'm afraid a paperclip just wouldn't hold the belt securely enough for this purpose. Maybe a rubber band would work though. :twocents:

babyherder

I'll find a way to mark/hold the center belt so I know where it needs to be. I'll do the sides first, check them, and then do the center. Would that be ok?

Honestly, when I install the Maestro I have to buckle it looser and then tighten it. I've tried to unbuckle it and buckle it back in again and I always have to loosen the belt, otherwise its too short to buckle. Then I tighten again. I just need a way to know how much I have to tighten the belt.

soygurl

Sure, that sounds like a good plan. Install the Maestro, and mark the belt so you know how much it needs to be tightened. Remove it, install the Outboard seats, and reinstall the Maestro using your marking. :thumbsup:

babyherder

I have a 1996 volvo 850 sedan. The seats don't puzzle nicely. They hit each other and the two outboard seats tilt a little. The armrest of the Maestro sort of goes under the side of the myride but the sides of the Maestro still push against the myride. And against the tribute.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC