Talk to me about mini vans

jewlsvern

We are looking into buying a mini van. In the past 7 years we have only had company cars and they do not have min vans so we are clueless about them.

We don't know what we want/need except we need 8 passenger (or option to have one), TA in the 3rd row, and can do a 3 across.

We are not even sure if we will do new or used. We like the Oddysey but am not sure if we can afford one. Are there other less expensive vans we should look at?

At this point we need a starting point.

ADS

jjordan

The only 8 passenger options that are within the last 5-ish years are the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey. Generally trim levels EX and above with the Odyssey have the 8th seat (although double-check, it varies some with the generation). The 8 passenger Siennas are a little harder to find because they have to be specifically an 8 passenger van, if that makes sense. In my area we probably have 15 7-passenger Siennas for every 1 8-passenger.

The 2004-2010 Siennas are more functional as 8 passenger vehicles compared to those same years of Odysseys. The opposite is true for 2011-2012 model years - there the Odyssey has a more functional 8th seat.

If you don't *need* an 8 passenger minivan, there are a lot more options. Since price seems to be a factor for you, I'd at least reconsider how much you *need* 8 passenger capabilities. :)

Syllieann

jjordan summed it up great. We have the small 8th seat in odyssey and it works fine for us for me to sit between the kids on that seat. The comfort of the 8th seat is less of an issue than the fact that if there's a car seat installed on the 8th seat, you usually can't push the captains chairs foward. There's a "successful plus one installation" thread you can peruse. I believe there are a couple seats that allow the capt chairs to tumble if you choose carefully.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC